Pratt snails, I've heard them called worms...not mine!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennie L

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi..,I am truly a beginner... yet I do have two planted tanks. One 15 gal planted tank & my new (2mo.) 40 gallon tank. I have pesky small snails that suck on my plants, eat them & are pests. I have put 2 assin snails in ea. tank. My Favorite LFS here plus a few more all have told me that I need a few loach to completly take care of the problem. I know where they came from....the plants. I DID no plant transfers from tank to tank! IS HAVING LOACH IN A PLANTED TANK THE ONLY REAL ANSWER TO GET RID OF THESE WIERD SNAILS WHO ARE A BIG PROBLEM? Does any one else have this problem? Please help! I am overwhelmed...there are so many! There not fun to take out &kill...crush these lil guys either! Sorry..major motermouth today! Just a bit angry & overwhelmed! Any help would be oh so appreciated! Thanks You. JJ

I definitely do not recommend getting a loach just to eat your snails. Most of the commonly available snail eating loaches get too big for your tanks.
I am surprised to hear that the pest snails are eating your plants, most of them don't. I have them in several of my planted tanks and I have never had an issue with them eating live plants. Are you sure that is whats happening?
The assassin snails should help. Another option is to put a piece of lettuce (or some other vegetable) in the tank for awhile and pull it out once it is full of feeding snails. You can also remove all the snails you see. Their numbers really shouldn't spiral out of control as long as you aren't overfeeding the tank.

I thank you for you quick reply & especially letting me know I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE LOACHE! MY RASBORA TANK 40 GAL, & MY TETRA & Dwarf Gourami thank you too. I know the assasin snails will do there job, then I'll take all the extra lil new assasin snails back LFS!!! They have gotten better, but yes they make big Brown spots on plants they stay on. I get up @ 1:30 am when the tanks are dark & take out ea. & every one I can get at then once again in the morning I do this. I will also try the lettuce, although my Gourami in the 15 gal may eat it! Lol! Again. Many thanks for the advice & letting me know there is hope in keeping their population down w/o a loach!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom