pregnant glofish died ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerryJayVargas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so i came home today to find out one of my pregnant glofish died really pissed cause i wanted more glofish but thats besides the point just a few hours before my mom told me that the fish were chasing each other and stuff. i have all glofish i was just wondering if while laying her eggs did the other glofish attack and ate her during that process or is that the process of glofish lay eggs and then die. please help cause i have another pregnant glofish danio and a glofish tetra that are pregnant and don't want the same thing to happen.:(

It seems like you've been losing a lot of fish lately, or they have been having accidents. I think we should discuss more about your tank.

What size is it?
What fish do you have in it?
What are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels?

i have a 20 gallon tank with about probably 6 glofish danios and 7 glofish tetra and a sucker mouth catfish

water levels are normal I'm do a water change next week just to keep them the way they are

A swollen body isn't necessarily "pregnant" (gravid is the proper term for loaded with eggs). Dropsy is caused by a number of diseases and makes a fish look swollen. Fish with dropsy can die quite suddenly or linger for weeks. Once they are moving slowly or not at all, other fish will pick at them.

What kind of suckermouth? Some type of Pleco? An Chinese algae eater ? If it is a Chinese algae eater, they can be aggressive towards other fish. If u dont know, could u post a pic?

i have a 20 gallon tank with about probably 6 glofish danios and 7 glofish tetra and a sucker mouth catfish

A pleco, no matter which variety, doesn't really belong in a 20. If you have a common, you should definitely return it! If you chose a small species like bristlenose, figure half your gallonage for its bioload. The other ten is pretty small for thirteen more fish.

My guess is that you are under filtered, overstocked, and not changing enough water or often enough. I'd encourage you to return the pleco.

What can one do, prevent the fish from doing their natural mating? If they didn't want them to breed, they should have engineered them to be colorful in only one sex, or sterile.

What can one do, prevent the fish from doing their natural mating? If they didn't want them to breed, they should have engineered them to be colorful in only one sex, or sterile.

I agree. I was actually making this statement in awe that they were able to get a patent that would make it unlawful for nature to occur :confused:

It is rather strange, I agree. Luckily they probably won't come bashing down the doors of kids with Glofish. But it is really weird that they COULD...

I believe it's only the INTENTIONAL breeding thats illegal. If yours happen to breed without you trying to encourage it then its just illegal for you to sell the babies.

I'd also agree on questioning whether the danio that died was actually pregnant or if she was just bloated/diseased/deformed. I have several GloDanios that are naturally plump but have never attempted to lay eggs, so I could imagine it pretty easy to make the mistake of thinking they were pregnant.

Back
Top Bottom