Pregnant Male Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurderComplication

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, so I just came back from my first year of University, and found out that my tank's pH is 6.2, Ammonia 2.0ppm, Nirites 5.0ppm, and Nitrates are 0.25ppm. It's bad from my mother's overfeeding, and only gravel vaccing once every two weeks.... It's a 55g with 6 neons, 4 gouramis, 3 angels and a pleco. Extremely planted with a peice of driftwood and five rocks with a gravel bottom, hang on back filter and a heater with a bubbler that I've DIYed to carry CO2 to the plants in the tank.

Well, the gourami my friend got me as the first fish in our tank is staying in the bottom corner with an extremely swelled chest. My phone's dead so I can't post a picture at the moment - but if it'll help and is requested I will.

Around the swelling it looks very pale and it looks as if it's tearing.

This could range from the fish severely constipated to Dropsy, I would get the water parameters in check first through a series of water changes.

Then I'd catch the fish then see if you can put slight pressure and move your fingers from head to tail direction to see if feces comes out. This basically will assist the fish to help pass feces if he's constipated, adding Epsom salt dosed at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons will also draw some moisture from the digestive track.

Then I'd fast the fish for 2-3 days and see how he responds to clean water and digestive track.

A picture would help a little if possible?

Last edited:
I've been doing 2 50% water changes, first at around 9 am, 2nd around 10pm since I got back - so for about six days now. Currently, Ammonia's at 2.0ppm, Nitrates and Nitrites are at 0.0ppm and the pH is at 6.5 now. When I got up and cleaned it this morning, I couldn't find that specific gourami, so he's hiding somewhere.

To me, at least, he looks like my three female neons when they get full of eggs - so I'm not sure if the petstore had the wrong gender on the tank, or they were just all mixed.

Gouramis are easily sexed by looking at the dorsal fin, long and pointed is a male where as the females is round and blunt.

Female left and male on the right.

I have drawf gourami's - so if it's the same - I'd have to say that all four who are supposed to be males - are all females.

Pictures would tell, I'm not sure where your located but females are extremely rare here in United States since they're normally fairly colorless and don't sell well.

Soooo - I just fished him out of the tank - tied the poop leading thing again since it didn't work last time. And it feels hard as a rock. He's laying on the bottom of my beta tank at the moment breathing heavy since the water in there's cleaner. He was barely moving - I was even able to catch him with a net easier then yesterday since he was just laying behind the bridge....

I'm afraid I might have to euthanize him :[ I already did it with two tetras - cold water with vodka and ice. I'd like to figure out what this is though - and if it'll effect the others. So far, nothing is effected thankfully.
img_2460327_0_bffbe5992816a9f512732a9c6170e112.jpg

Back
Top Bottom