pregnant molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsplace1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, new to the site. Have a few questions for all of you fish lovers and for those who are veterans to my fish virginess...We have had a 10 gal tank since end of December, has been cycled, got some pretty bad advice from a local store when we bought our fish. We were not looking to breed, (my mistake up front by not doing more research) they recommended a hardy fish...(dalmation mollies) and said I should get 2 females and 1 male. We also got 1 mini clown pleco. All was doing well until one of my female mollies just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Obviously pregnant. Now, here I am scrambling to find all the info I can on them and realizing they are live bearers ( we got the fish for our 3 year old for his aquarium room and for him to learn the importance of a pet and taking care of something) I have received quite a bit of mixed feelings and advice, harsh words from other websites claiming to be support. :( I really just want some help in trying to understand what to expect from her to make it easier on her to deliver this fry. I tried the breeder net, she seemed very aggitated, I took her out. It seems like she has been getting bigger now for about 4-5 weeks. I keep hearing 28 days, some say 60 days, can anyone give me an answer on what to expect for this poor little gal? How is she going to act when she is getting ready, what can I do to make it easier? Can I make this come any quicker, induce labor...(just kidding, that is my L&D experience talking now)...if anyone can help or give me some kind words of advice I would greatly appreciate it!!! :D

I had mollies when I was a kid and this is what I remember. I was nine and my mom wasn't exactly a fish expert. It has been a while, so all of you veterans, please feel free to correct me. I know they won't eat their babies. We always had swordtails in the tank that did that. Right before they had their babies they left a very long line of waste that they drug along behind them. That was always the sign for us to get ready. We had a fish bowl to keep the babies in that we could save.

Ours always dug themselves in the gravel and then couldn't get out. If all you have is a pleco and some mollies, they should be fine, so maybe they won't run and hide. Baby mollies are so cute.

Just to make sure, her scales aren't sticking out, are they? Kinda like a pinecone? Or are they flush with the body?

When she is ready, her gravid spot (dark spot by the anus) will darken significantly and she'll pop them out within a few days. I always thought 3-4 weeks until birth, but could be wrong too. Its also been forever since I've had mollies.

IMO, ditch the breeding net, but get a sponge to go over your HOB intake. They sell them for very cheap at your LFS. Otherwise, the fry will go right in your filter.

Good luck with the babies!

HTH

Yes strangely enough the molly fry do like to go into the filter. My guppy fry however never do. :roll: Once your molly has her fry, she can have more batches of fry. They can store sperm for quite some time. I had a molly wait almost 2 months to release her fry. It can depend on whether they feel comfortable or not. Once she did everything was fine. IMO the breeder nets do make them stressed.

thanks so much, I will try to make her as comfortable as possible. Do you know the temp, I keep hearing they like it about 82 F. I am slowing going up, I have had it around 78, it is up to 80 now so we are slowing going, and I also hear they like dried bloodworms or black worm (live) will help them deliver...this is just so weird to me. I am an L&D nurse so I am so interested in this whole experience with her I am probably freaking her out staring at her...I'll back away, get the sponge for the
Code:
HOB
and just wait...I'll let you all know soon...

thanks

here is a pic of her...I don't see a gravid spot on her back, but she is spotted so it is hard to tell, I'll check again..thanks

Back
Top Bottom