pregnant swordtails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldylox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will my black swordtails just breed on their own or do they have to have certain conditions? From what I have read they aren't picky but I just wanted to be sure. I am not actively trying to breed them and I am not too sure what to do if they have fry 8O Anyone with experience, can you share? Also, I have been searching for pics of pregnant swordtails and i can't find any good ones so I don't even know how to tell if they are pregnant. Thanks in advance!

goldylox

Sword tails breed constantly. You can see a gravid spot on both sides of their stomach and they get fat. The spot may be harder to see on blacks. They can give birth at any time, but mine tend to deliver when we have a weather change. Good luck. :D

Swords are one of the easiest fish to breed. the female will carry the babies for almost two months when she goes into labor, you will see her resting near the bottom of the tank breathing hard. try to seclude her from the males, the will pick on her alot at this stage. the young, unless separated will more that likely end up as food( swords will eat their young). If a female becomes stressed, she will often give birth prematurely(such as a move, of even a change in barometric pressure can induce labor.) Have fun with all the babies :invasion:

Back
Top Bottom