pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made a mistake! As ginger is showing signs of giving birth again I released the babies into the main tank, cleaned the breeder tank, gone back go the tank abd the babies keep being chased by the biggest BS Tetra. Have caught them and put them back in breeder along with mummy. She's not bothered by the babies at all, neither when they were in the main tank. I've tried to catch the baby BS but no chance! It stays in a bush and the very local area making it really difficult to get. Big tetra seems to be patrolling that area, could this be guarding her baby?

No fry! I'm going to get a smaller tank to put the babies in untill their bigger, might even put mum in their she may be more relaxed. My plan is to get it set up today with some water out of main tank to give cycling a start.

No fry! I'm going to get a smaller tank to put the babies in untill their bigger, might even put mum in their she may be more relaxed. My plan is to get it set up today with some water out of main tank to give cycling a start.

I think it's more the filter medium that's needed to start the cycle, if you could use some from your filter that would be more beneficial , I'm no expert but I'm sure someone will help on that one..oh and good idea to have a fry tank ... I would suggest a few corydoras to help clean the substrate,they tend to eat all the food that the fish miss .. And great little fish too :) I have 4 in with my fry and they do a splendid job of helping clean up :)

Got the new tank set up with water from main tank, let her and the older fry into it abd within an hour I noticed something swimming. I've counted about ten so far, she's still panting and looking large so imagine tgeres more in there. Had to get the older fry out and back into breeder box as they were after the newborns. Some I think are dead, there's a pure white one on the gravel which hasn't moved at all but I'm going to leave it until ginger has finished to check. Would the newborns eat of any dead fishes?

Not sure if they would eat them, I'm new at the live bearers these are my first babies in over a year :) I would say to leave it and see what the mum does .. Congrats on the new arrivals :)

I've moved them now anyways. I saw the older ones get a newborn in their mouth, it was too big but they kept trying. Luckily that fry managed to swim away eventually but didn't want to cause more stress on them. Im going to leave any further batches to nature or I'm going to have loads! Is it best to leave her overnight in the separate tank then?

Back
Top Bottom