Prettiest bottom feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish24907

Aquarium Advice Regular
So most bottom feeders I see are just not attractive to me. What are some of the prettier ones?

Edit: And I'm thinking of this because I want one for my 20 gallon Long tank (with 5 Danios and 6 Platties).

For a tank. I have a 20 Gallon Long with 5 Danios (and I will be adding 6 Platties). Water temp stays around 68 degrees.

IMO, kuhli loaches are really cute. I also like South American Bumble Bee catfish. A lot of cory species are really cute too, but of course this is all just a matter of opinion. :)

Do you want a single fish or a group of them???

I'd rather just do a single one. So hopefully one that doesn't have a social need to be around others of his own kind.

But if there's a real pretty one that needs a friend or two, that wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Fish24907 said:
I'd rather just do a single one. So hopefully one that doesn't have a social need to be around others of his own kind.

Look at some fancy plecos and see if you can find any that can fit in a twenty gallon. Gold ABN plecos are very cool. If you're willing to have good water changes and keep up on maintenance, you can definitely keep a pleco in a 20 Gallon tank.

Fish24907 said:
For a tank. I have a 20 Gallon Long with 5 Danios (and I will be adding 6 Platties). Water temp stays around 68 degrees.

that is a low temp for those kind of fish.. should be around 74-78 °F

Pygmy cories are little but are adorable. a school of 6-9 would be good for you. or 3-4 khuli loaches.. in my opinion the striped ones are prettier ... peppered cories are also cute 3-5 for your tank. Umm shrimp and snails are always an option. red cherry shrimp would add color to your tank. start with about 10-12 they will breed... or ghost shrimp, they are cheep (less that $0.50 each) .... nerite snails are great but watch out if you have driftwood, you will never get the eggs off, and the eggs don't hatch in freshwater ... mystery snails look awesome with their little tenticles. I would suggest only 1 to avoid breeding. you can always get a snail and still pick another bottom feeder

bruinsbro1997 said:
Look at some fancy plecos and see if you can find any that can fit in a twenty gallon. Gold ABN plecos are very cool. If you're willing to have good water changes and keep up on maintenance, you can definitely keep a pleco in a 20 Gallon tank.

BN plecos are really cool :) I picked up a longfin BN 2 weeks ago... super cute. you could keep one of those in your tank. if you get a pleco you need to have some real driftwood in the tank

Pygmy cories are little but are adorable. a school of 6-9 would be good for you. or 3-4 khuli loaches.. in my opinion the striped ones are prettier ... peppered cories are also cute 3-5 for your tank. Umm shrimp and snails are always an option. red cherry shrimp would add color to your tank. start with about 10-12 they will breed... or ghost shrimp, they are cheep (less that $0.50 each) .... nerite snails are great but watch out if you have driftwood, you will never get the eggs off, and the eggs don't hatch in freshwater ... mystery snails look awesome with their little tenticles. I would suggest only 1 to avoid breeding. you can always get a snail and still pick another bottom feeder

Hmm...those Pygmy Cories look great. I may go for them, thanks.

Are you sure they are pure bottom feeders though? I'm hoping for something that hovers over the gravel all the time...since my danios are usually at the top and middle of the tank.

There are 3 species of "pygmy" cory: C. habrosus, hastatus, and pygmaeus. The pygmaeus usually tend to hover around and are more mid-tank dwellers, but the habrosus and hastatus are true bottom dwellers.

I think royal or snowball pleco's are the most beautiful pleco's.

I've a Snowball Pleco and it really is beautiful! (The most expensive fish in my tank, btw :D)
The only trouble with those is that they like to stay hidden during the day :(

absolutangel04 said:
IMO, kuhli loaches are really cute. I also like South American Bumble Bee catfish. A lot of cory species are really cute too, but of course this is all just a matter of opinion. :)

+1 on both. My bumblebee's are beautiful!! And I love how active my black Khuli are.

Excellent post! (y)

Back
Top Bottom