PRIME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian Vartanian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, i am just about to make my salt water for my tank. have 2 questions. let me start with the mor important question. Can i mix the salt in normal tap water then add conditioner? becuase i got a little worried when the bag said to mix it in dechlorinated water. my conditioner is Prime, which requires only one capful for ever 50 gallons. i dont think it would really make a difference, but im not positive.

second, should i add my sand before or after water is in tank?

Depending on your tap water conditions, you could have an algae mess on your hands down the road. My tape water is terrible here! As long as Prime dechlorinates the tap water that should be fine. if not, get some dechorinator such as stress coat.

Secondly, I would put the sand in first before the water. Once the sand is in, set a large bowl in there and pour the water into it. This will help control much of the cloudiness. HTH

Mike

yea prime is actually really good for NEW water setups, it removes chlorine Chloramine, Amonia, and for existin water it detoxifis nitrite and nitrate

thanks for the sand advice, i really apreciate it

wierd thing

ok the bag of instant ocean i got said it treated 50 gallons, but there was a stick on the bag saying u get like 10% extra so it treats 55 us gal. the directions on the back say add 1/2 cup of salt for every gallon. yet i did this for my 55 gal tank and i still have almost 1/2 of the bag remaining, did i do something wrong?

i used the same brand and bag of salt you are describing i have a 65 gal tank and it took all of that salt plus about 1/4 out of another bag

check selenity make sure it is correct, that is how i did it , you have to add a little and wait for a while then test . the 1/2 cup per gallon is a good start but the specific gravity is the most important.

Back
Top Bottom