PRL 2020 - Autumnsky starting over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the shrimp fit! Sorry my son was climbing all over me while I was writing that and I missed a logical transition! One of the things I tried to do was add variety of food including that in the hopes that I could give them an immune system boost to help them fight it off.

But it’s not actually an antibiotic. As far as I can tell it’s more like a vitamin. They also say it helps aid baby shrimp survival, though I wonder if that’s just because it’s powdered and allows a dusting of food around where the little ones can get it. Regardless I think it’s a great thing to have in the rotation.

These shrimp I picked up semi-locally. About half an hour away but no extra shipping stress. I didn’t test the store’s water before I drip acclimated, which was silly. So I don’t know if this store has similar parameters. But so far so good. A bit of scutariella popped up after a couple days but two days of half dose paraguard wiped that out and I haven’t seen it or any other signs of illness since. I’m very hopeful!

Unfortunately I don’t know of any local breeders that work with more interesting shrimp but I should save that goal for “someday.”

If they ever become available, I may still may try the zebra babaulti again, though they’ll be quarantined well if I do. Only because the company gave me an $80 credit to cover the relatively high losses in shipping during my second order. Sigh... this is exactly the logic that got me in trouble the first time :lol: it would probably be best to use it on supplies or perhaps fish since I have a record of issues with the health of their shrimp... but those are just so fricken gorgeous and the idea of a species like that that can (supposedly) thrive in cherry parameters is so very tempting.

couple pics

60074-albums14852-picture72839.jpg

60074-albums14852-picture72877.jpg

I am getting a few baby CBS. Very nice quality SS to SSS. Will have to get some new pics. These are from a little while ago.

It seems I never added the pics and never added a conclusion, 275 days later...

I didn't read back through everything here, but basically I separated the known PRL from the other possible unknowns and kept them in the cube tank.

They produced lovely babies. Sent them to be a PRL project with a shrimp hobby friend. Seems as of a few months ago they settled in and were producing babies.

The second group of lovely looking shrimp but unknown CRS were added with a bunch of culled Taiwan Bee Shrimp and a few Blue Bolts shadow Pandas a couple Mosura.

Things went okay for a while, most of the misc looking Bee Shrimp disappeared. Just a few Blues and a ton of babies and adult CRS in December quite a lovely bunch. I had a 1-2 week out of town trip and did all the pre- trip prep a few days ahead. Pre packed some foods and left and
I was gone for SIX weeks.

Not 1-2 weeks but 6. Nothing was great after that.

I did some water changes and observed what the little guys were doing. Pretty much lost 2/3 (maybe more) of the shrimps. Pretty much all the babies.

At the moment I just cleaned out the whole tank. All the babies and adult CRS are in a bucket and I am awaiting a local guys decision to buy the whole group of 50-70 shrimp. Or will probably offer them to the lfs. If no takers, I will toss them into the other Edge tank with the Chili Rasboras and call it a day.

Ultimately I did not want CRS at all, I wanted PRL. My friend who has all my PRL will hand me over a group of them in the future (If they are producing).

So for now I am looking at some mid grade Blue Bolts. New shrimp tank build if that comes to fruition. I don't really want to deal with the second shrimp tank due to time restrictions and having to travel a decent amount in 2022.

Still cutting the workload back for now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom