PRL - Autumnsky's next shrimp adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally achieved the water parameters I was looking for Bees. I used Sl Aqua blue wizard reminilizer in distilled water which had a TDS of 3 only. After resting water in tank for two days and after adding fertilizers and glut my readings are This:

Tds: 160
PH: 6.5
GH: 5
KH: 1-2
Amonia: Nill
NO3: Nill
NO2: Nill
Temperature: 72-74

I felt like when an athlete wins marathon or when someone gets his PhD dedree lol.

It was a very stressful time. Mainly problem occurred because of wrong inaccurate test kits and then api which doesn't measure correctly if Gh and KH are nill in distilled water. Now I can finally order more Taiwan Bees.

Winner...!!!!!

I need to test everything this weekend - just to be on the safe side.

Did a 10% pwc.

Temp is running at 72F / 22.2C. Thinking I would rather it be 71F. Feeling like checking with a few more keepers to be sure what temp might be best. Most keep them at 70-73F.

Winner...!!!!!

I need to test everything this weekend - just to be on the safe side.

Did a 10% pwc.

Temp is running at 72F / 22.2C. Thinking I would rather it be 71F. Feeling like checking with a few more keepers to be sure what temp might be best. Most keep them at 70-73F.
I spoke with lots and lots of keepers and ideal temperature is 72 which you already have. Shrimps will breed good and will stay away from bacterial infections. I don't think you need to change temperature. For me 72 is the magic number. My temperature fluctuates between 72-74 because of the climate where I live in.

I did find a few babies, a juvenile in last pic, a couple of the teeny tiny dots just look brand new!!!

Quite excited, but also saw Planaria which I need to kill off.

One dead shrimp was found. t was a patchy looking older one possibly, it wasn't a really good colored one either, so I wonder it was just an older one.

<~~~~~~>

The arrow is pointing to the tiniest shrimp baby!!! The white dot has 2 red stripes!

60074-albums14700-picture71690.jpg

This was the only pic I could get before I managed to see this little guy above/ the top one, lol.

This is a tiny baby on a little piece of Subwassertang

60074-albums14700-picture71691.jpg

Juvenile and an adult
60074-albums14700-picture71693.jpg

Last edited:
Autum how your boras treating the tiny shrimplets? Have you seen going for frys?

Thank you everyone.

I am so happy to see that at least some baby shrimp are surviving their birth.

One shrimp from a couple months ago only had a small number of eggs and am wondering if the larger baby I found maybe was from her hatch.

Although the tank is only 12G it has a bunch of DW pieces and an abundance of nicely growing plants so I rarely see all the shrimp.

The big DW piece is maybe an average of 9" wide and 11-12 tall - 2" to 3" thick with cracks and crevices, and a knot hole and is able to likely hide tiny shrimp which also likely pick at the biofilm on it. Very easy to stay hidden.

I saw shrimp fry of 3 different sizes about 10 times the other day when I was really looking, right after a big feeding. The big feeding I usually only do the day of, or some hours before a good size pwc.

It is hard to determine if it was just the same 3 shrimp I kept seeing over and over, or maybe ~8 shrimp, :)

Kashif - I have not seen the Boraras (Brigittae aka Chilis) so much as even look at one of the babies.

They really do not seem to have the hunting behavior of say the Celestial Pearl Danios / CPD which are blatantly combing through leaves and crevices and checking out the substrate looking for tiny snacks. These guys rarely leave the top 1/4 of the tank and usually just the top 1/3 but will hide behind and to the side of that large DW mentioned above.

I can not say absolutely they do not bother the really tiny babies, but I do not see /have not seen them doing the eating motions off of the DW and plants, grazing like some other fish do. If I feed them, they only like to eat the food out of the water, not follow it to the bottom and eat it off the substrate either.

I found a small shrimplet in a coupe snapshots I took of a cool snail and was so focused on the snail I didn't see the baby shrimp!!!

Will add it to the album and post it in a few.

Thanks a lot for the update. Very very beautiful shrimps and snails. What snails are they?

And I also noticed my chili rasboras never pick from bottom and never seen them nipping any plant or anything. I use to feed hikari micro pellets to them but stopped as I read it has copper inside and I thought that left overs will be grazed by shrimps.

So fabulous I dare feel so happy about it. I talked about them and showed them off to family. I think I must have about 100+ maybe 120 shrimp including like half babies. Of course always can not see half of the little guys.

I will post a pic asap.

Since adding the pics is hard for me to see I hope they aren't duplicated but oh well here goes...

There were about 7 babies in the pic, can't quite make them all out in it.
60074-albums14700-picture71767.jpg

This is a favorite pic
60074-albums14700-picture71766.jpg

60074-albums14700-picture71765.jpg

60074-albums14700-picture71763.jpg

60074-albums14700-picture71760.jpg

60074-albums14700-picture71762.jpg

might have posted this one before /big load!
60074-albums14700-picture71769.jpg

It is nearly impossible to get the tiny little guys in the pics. The grains of substrate are about 1mm.

I think I need to get a much better camera/phone, soon I hope.

Also will probably get them some special branded food for the baby shrimps. Maybe Bacter AE too.

Last edited:
Just fed Rotifers and Cyclops frozen foods, and boy oh boy did I see SOOOOO many little tiny babies. I counted around 75. Including a large number of teeny tinys, some look just a day or 2 old.

Last night I saw them fluttering about as in a breeding frenzy. Started with 3 shrimp Sunday night and yesterday it was all over chasing everywhere.

Tonight all are just munching away, grazing. Didn't see the chasing like before. Calmed down.

Incredibly beautiful Ma'am. Keep us updated always. Congratulations on babies and berried females. ?

What is your ph?

Thank you, I'll check on it in the next couple days. Been a few months.

I have been using my tap water which is suited to their parameters, lots of DW, leaf litter, and mostly RO water for top offs but sometimes just tap, treated always of course. Substrate is ADA Amazonia Light.

Thank you, I'll check on it in the next couple days. Been a few months.

I have been using my tap water which is suited to their parameters, lots of DW, leaf litter, and mostly RO water for top offs but sometimes just tap, treated always of course. Substrate is ADA Amazonia Light.
Thanks. Which leaf litter basically?

Mostly Oak leaves, White Oak and Burr Oak, from my yard and neighbors, some unknown Oak tree because they came from someone. Tried Guava, liked them, and small pieces of Indian Almond (IAL or IA).

Personally I am cautionary /reserved on IA large leaves because adding them in a big piece like a hand size has caused almost a stagnant condition where they layer and they smelled rotten 2 times the leaves ended up kind of slimy.

I got small size called Betta leaf maybe 5/6 cm and they worked great. Also, later I used slices of a large IAL and they worked alright. ~ 1.5 cm x 6-8 cm / 1"x 4".

Also tried mulberry leaves homegrown from a family member.

Need to pick up a new batch because I used the last of the variety a couple weeks ago, only crumbles left and they are gone now!

Back
Top Bottom