PRL - Autumnsky's next shrimp adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mostly Oak leaves, White Oak and Burr Oak, from my yard and neighbors, some unknown Oak tree because they came from someone. Tried Guava, liked them, and small pieces of Indian Almond (IAL or IA).

Personally I am cautionary /reserved on IA large leaves because adding them in a big piece like a hand size has caused almost a stagnant condition where they layer and they smelled rotten 2 times the leaves ended up kind of slimy.

I got small size called Betta leaf maybe 5/6 cm and they worked great. Also, later I used slices of a large IAL and they worked alright. ~ 1.5 cm x 6-8 cm / 1"x 4".

Also tried mulberry leaves homegrown from a family member.

Need to pick up a new batch because I used the last of the variety a couple weeks ago, only crumbles left and they are gone now!
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Very helpful

Just did a quick basic test
Nitrate did it 2x and was actually 0 yellow
Nitrite 0
Ph was 6.4 maybe 6.5
Tap is running 6.9 not aged just straight out
Ammonia 0
It has been a couple days since the last pwc.

Moving tanks right now and don't have time to measure the rest yet.

Shrimp are looking good! Wish I lived over there - could pop around wallet and bucket in hand when the shrimplets get bigger (assuming you sell any surplus ones).

That will be a fun thing to do periodically to share the love. I wish you were around too and we would get you some of these jewels.

I really am taken with these guys. They are looking better and better all the time.

There are a few newer / better recently developed and more commonly available, though costly shrimp varieties which are really something special to see. Some Pintos are amazing and the royal blue shrimps in both Neo and Caridina are always a favorite of mine.

It is hard to want many more kinds of shrimp but trying to keep saying no. Also trying very hard to slow down and continue to reduce the number of tanks and work on the focus of each more. Later, (no time in the foreseeable future) I would like to work on the OEBT shrimp again.

But every time I see new baby PRL, so darn tiny, (like little commas on a keyboard) in the tank, I am excited like a kid at Christmas. So happy and so thankful to have them!

That will be a fun thing to do periodically to share the love. I wish you were around too and we would get you some of these jewels.

I really am taken with these guys. They are looking better and better all the time.

There are a few newer / better recently developed and more commonly available, though costly shrimp varieties which are really something special to see. Some Pintos are amazing and the royal blue shrimps in both Neo and Caridina are always a favorite of mine.

It is hard to want many more kinds of shrimp but trying to keep saying no. Also trying very hard to slow down and continue to reduce the number of tanks and work on the focus of each more. Later, (no time in the foreseeable future) I would like to work on the OEBT shrimp again.

But every time I see new baby PRL, so darn tiny, (like little commas on a keyboard) in the tank, I am excited like a kid at Christmas. So happy and so thankful to have them!
Ma'am you are into shrimps for long I think you can try Taiwan Bees like red pandas, extreme blue bolts. Your water is ideal for them.

:) I love so many kinds of shrimp. Just not enough time to properly take care of the little jewels.
Yeah the world "little jewels" are very nice ? I also keep them not to show off. Mostly people buy expensive shrimps to show off. I love because they look very pretty and I love them. Can't cull them and feed to any fish or fish store because they will do same. I need a small tank maybe for colorless shrimps. Your PRL are very beautiful.

Counted about 47 shrimp right here in the front, and 147 all over the tank earlier.
60074-albums14700-picture71779.jpg

60074-albums14700-picture71777.jpg

Tank is thriving at the moment.

Color from the extra light I used to take the pics threw off the shrimp color in the pics they are bright red and white in person.

While cleaning out the drawer for fish stuff found 4 different kinds of foods. A couple look pretty dried out and the other 2 look fine.

The above pic is what the shrimp though about it today.

Also bought some supplies for the Shrimp tank. Will list them later on. Only Bacter AE and Shirakura baby shrimp food arrived so far.

Found a few more dried Guava leaves and an extra Alder cone from the drawer and added them into the tank with a quarter size piece of Cuttlebone.

Now the majority of the shrimp stuff is in one container and MUCH easier to find.

Autumn very beautiful. Thanks for the update. Love your PRL and your tank scape. Very green and very beautiful. Shrimps paradise. Very very cute. Keep it up.

Hoping to add a Ludwigia Repens x l. Arcuata for a touch more color on the sides for a better pop of red.

The Mini Butterfly Rotala is doing great at the top of the tank, because the best light there, about 6 inches from the light.

The present stock light is what comes on the tank Fluvals 42 LED light is under powered to get to the bottom. Thinking of using a 50/50 Actinic LED strip made for a reef tank to help reach the bottom.

Had to pluck off a few Anubias Nana leaves getting a good spotty growth of BBA.

Have another thick patch growing on the rock at the right in the front. May use H2O2. Need to learn more about water changing after treatment. And side effects which could affect the shrimp.

On a positive note there seem to be less and less Planaria. Couple weeks back only saw a few and this past week 2 and when I fed the big amount of food - 0. They are probably just fooling me!

Hoping to add a Ludwigia Repens x l. Arcuata for a touch more color on the sides for a better pop of red.

The Mini Butterfly Rotala is doing great at the top of the tank, because the best light there, about 6 inches from the light.

The present stock light is what comes on the tank Fluvals 42 LED light is under powered to get to the bottom. Thinking of using a 50/50 Actinic LED strip made for a reef tank to help reach the bottom.

Had to pluck off a few Anubias Nana leaves getting a good spotty growth of BBA.

Have another thick patch growing on the rock at the right in the front. May use H2O2. Need to learn more about water changing after treatment. And side effects which could affect the shrimp.

On a positive note there seem to be less and less Planaria. Couple weeks back only saw a few and this past week 2 and when I fed the big amount of food - 0. They are probably just fooling me!
I had ludwigia ripens in my tank and it does look very beautiful. Mine was very red. Ma'am do you consider adding some Marimo Moss balls? Shrimps look very very beautiful sitting on them.

The Marimo balls I had in there were the small ones maybe 2cm. They are likely lost in the jungle now. Because of the stones, and large DW - vertically placed, there is little room on the floor of the tank.

I love Marimo Moss balls. I have had some size of an orange, small grape fruit. First one I broke apart accidentally by squeezing it after water changes. Do not squeeze Moss balls if you ever read about doing that!

Very hard to find ones that large around here. Most are 2-3 inches diameter.

Removed a Sword runner from the tank today for a friend of the family setting up a new tank.

Did you do anything in particular for planaria or did they just phase out as things seem to do sometimes? I just noticed a few in my shrimp tank today.

Thanks Dela for liking the name. Autumn I did read to press it gently to clean it time to time. No? It is spongy kind of so I thought not difficult. Please let me know what happens if to squeeze to clean.

Also you can order them online. I read eBay etc you can find fake Marimo balls but this I bought. Very nice and original. Its from Dennerle

medium-moss-balls-3-pcs-aegagropila-linnaei-dennerle.jpg

I took a picture of mine and an adult shrimp for size reference.

Attachments

• DSC_5274.jpg
    DSC_5274.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 30
Hey don't know how I missed these last few posts - sorry guys.

Tacit, the Planaria seem to disappeared in recent weeks. No clue, they must still be there somewhere...

One theory I have is that the more I feed the frozen foods the less I see them, when I use the pelleted foods I seem to see them, so wondering about whether they thrive on the fillers in the prepared foods???

Kasif, I have never seen those tennis ball Marimos, are they alive or simulated pretend moss balls?? I love them!

Thank you all for the kind words.

I have added a new thing that finally came from over seas. It is written in a language I surely cannot read.

But added in 3 pellets to my PRL tank and within seconds the shrimp were rushing over to them... One didn't even hit the mos before a shrimp swam up and grabbed ahold of it.

Wow, snails and shrimp and fish going after this stuff like it is ice cream on a hot day.

A little goes a long way.

I added a tiny piece to the Dwarf Cray bowl and tank.

And to the fish tanks a few pieces All the bottom feeders and Angel and fish are picking at this stuff, lol. There are a bunch of sellers of the same picture/packaging with different names, likely the same.

I just put in search words "shrimp snow" in the pet department and had lots of options!
www.amazon.com/Hukai-Natto-Shrimp-F...F8&qid=1522736705&sr=1-1&keywords=shrimp+snow

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom