Problem algae. Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikethomas85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm hoping that I have figured out how to post pictures to these forums (below). If I have could anyone help identifying what kind of horrible algae this is and if at all possible give me some tips on how to eliminate it - some kind of reef safe hermit crab (or other critter) would be ideal!

Regards
Mike

That is mostly cyanobacteria. It feeds off of excess nutrients in the water column from feeding too much and not using ro/di water with top offs and water changes.

Cut back on feeding, do more frequent water changes, vacuuming out what you can with each change. Nothing I have seen eats it. Adding another eating, pooping, critter is not the answer. This is called cyanobacteria.

Thanks. Looks like I'm changing where I get my ro/salt water from!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How often are you feeding, what is your stock list and what size tank is this?

Feed very infrequently (average twice a week)
110L so about 100L after rocks?
2 turbo snail, 1 snail, 2 smaller snail (forgotten names sorry), 2 sand sifting snail, 9 red legged hermit crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 zoa (one orange and one brown/green), leather coral (looks sick but that is a different thread)

No fish at all? How about flow in the tank? If the flow is too little detritus will end up falling in the lowest flow areas of the substrate and start causing nutrient problems.
How about your nutrient export? How often do you do water changes and how much?
Remember, every piece of food you put in the tank must be removed, even though it's been eaten. Most is still there, just in a different form (poop).

No fish at all? How about flow in the tank? If the flow is too little detritus will end up falling in the lowest flow areas of the substrate and start causing nutrient problems.
How about your nutrient export? How often do you do water changes and how much?
Remember, every piece of food you put in the tank must be removed, even though it's been eaten. Most is still there, just in a different form (poop).

Yes no fish yet.

I can't remember the specific names but it is about 26 times an hour from two separate powerheads.

Been doing about 10% once a week

I'm not sure how to gauge the flow amount with that info. See if there is a gph listed on the power head, or perhaps take a picture.
As for the water changes, how much food are you adding exactly?

As in I move 2600 litres per hour in a 100L tank.

I add a pinch of food maybe twice a week

That doesn't sound like enough flow to me.

Not trying to jump your thread op, but going forward in my 40g build, I'm trying to get as much preventative stuff out of the way first.

Is there a recommended flow rate per hour ?
Is it based on the size of the tank ?
Does it include (or exclude) tolerances for stock in the tank and/or volume moved via the filter ?
Is there an allowable percentage for any dead zones in the tank ?
Is it possible to create a tank absolutely free from any dead zones that will not be disruptive to the current set up and create an algae free tank ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Bottom line is as little dead zones as possible. If you can't do without them, then you best be keeping them clean manually. Most of the critters we keep come from reef type settings where flow is somewhat turbulent.
The lack of dead zones is not a guarantee of an algae free tank. You have to take into consideration that algae is a part of the ocean, and it's not necessarily a horrible thing to have some. Water quality is first and foremost. The lower the nutrient level, the better a chance at the lack of nuisance algae.

Bottom line is as little dead zones as possible. If you can't do without them, then you best be keeping them clean manually.

Can I re-add the water I filter out (after removing the cyno) just to get rid of it all?

Back
Top Bottom