Problem with a red film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is the problem on the top of the water. Anyone know what it is, and why its there? Thanks.

Attachments

• image-1523248664.jpg
    image-1523248664.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3011141303.jpg
    image-3011141303.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 89
Looks like you have no surface agitation. Unless the powerheads/return pump were shut off for picture purposes. What do you have for filtration ?

Definatly agree with ballin It looks like a collection of bio matter. I recommend a surface skimmer on the intake of your skimmer pump that should clear your surface up quite well

Thanks for your replies. It is a sump filtration with the skimmer in the sump. I don't have a powerhead, but thinking of getting one later on when I have some money. I only have live rock in the 55g tank (250 litres). Just set up a refugium as well. I didn't shut off the pump for the photo. How can I get rid of this? Thanks.

What does your overflow look like? Is it taking any water from the surface? Can you reconfigure so it does?

I can do much about the overflow. It's plastic stuck onto the glass, but has slits vertically on the top and bottom. I'm scooping the red stuff off with the net. Any other ideas?

Jonty said:
I can do much about the overflow. It's plastic stuck onto the glass, but has slits vertically on the top and bottom. I'm scooping the red stuff off with the net. Any other ideas?

I would completely close off the bottom and let the water skim off through top slits. The same thing that is going on in your protein skimmer is happening in your tank. The only difference is that you aren't removing it, and it just keeps building up.

Back
Top Bottom