problem with my nitrate and nitrites.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skippah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new here but I have the same problem with my nitrate and nitrites. I did a water change about 18-20 percent. Water is still cloudy. What I am doing is using 5 gallon buckets from from Home Depot (rated for food) and using pre-treat water. I usually let the water sit for a few hours before I put in but the temperature goes down. I am thinking of adding a heater for my water changes.

I took out half of my gravel on one side of my tank and using slate stone on the bottom almost like a mosaic natural tile. I the slate is alright because I tested that in water after a couple of days and it doesn't affect water quality. I know my gravel is a culprit of trapping food and waste but should I remove it all. Also I have lots of natural plants, not for the nitrates but because I like them. Anyway my fish seem lethargic after the last water change. What can I do to ease this adjustment period? How can I lower my nitrates and nitrites without killing my fish?

If you're having nitrite problems then you're tank is not cycled. How long has it been running and what fish do you have. What filtration and size tank.

I have a 29 gallon two small discus, 2 guppies, two neon tetras. I have two hanging filters that were adequate. I run them both and hopskip changing the media on them. I did a 50% water change last Thursday a 18% yesterday with a media change this morning. I am keeping these guys in the 29 until my new 50 gallon is set up and cycled. I am waiting on a new cannister filter which is why I have these guys in the 29 with the other small fish. I have two aqua clears (one is for a 50gallon and the other is for a 20 gallon).

He's correct if your Nitrites are high then your tank isn't cycled. There are plenty of threads on fish in cycling and fish less cycling. Let's keep this thread on point about NitrAtes as I'm having issues with it and don't wanna get lost in off topic issues. You can start a thread about your nitrite issue and I'm sure the members will be more then happy to help.

Skippah said:
Hey guys,

I'm kinda new here but I have the same problem with my nitrate and nitrites. I did a water change about 18-20 percent. Water is still cloudy. What I am doing is using 5 gallon buckets from from Home Depot (rated for food) and using pre-treat water. I usually let the water sit for a few hours before I put in but the temperature goes down. I am thinking of adding a heater for my water changes.

I took out half of my gravel on one side of my tank and using slate stone on the bottom almost like a mosaic natural tile. I the slate is alright because I tested that in water after a couple of days and it doesn't affect water quality. I know my gravel is a culprit of trapping food and waste but should I remove it all. Also I have lots of natural plants, not for the nitrates but because I like them. Anyway my fish seem lethargic after the last water change. What can I do to ease this adjustment period? How can I lower my nitrates and nitrites without killing my fish?

I agree with the previous post. It sounds like your tank has not fully cycled yet. As long as you use a gravel vacuum religiously, having gravel in itself should not be a cause for high levels of anything. Actually there is a lot of surface area on gravel for beneficial bacteria to colonize. I would say that most people switch to sand just because they think it looks better in their tank. Just keep doing your PWCs, gravel vac every time, and as long as your bio-load is not too much, things should level out.

Would removing most or some of the gravel and rinsing it out under a strainer be alright. I haven't removed all of my gravel for this purpose that I assumed that there is also beneficial bacteria in there. What is the best method of vacuuming? I used the water change tube but the suction seems to be quite low using the syphing method (my tank is higher than the bucket. I was thinking of using a small diameter hose and attaching it to the filter intake with screening to pull the debris or using a small water fountain water pump from Home depot for a vacuum.

Crawdaddy said:
Has anyone on here tried aquipures nitrate removal system? They advertise on this forum, and I have checked out their site, but all the customer reviews there are all positive of course. I was just curious if anyone here has tried one. They claim that the bacteria in the filter will prevent you from having to do water changes, wether I believe that or not I don't know. I was just hoping to get some feed back.

Never even heard of it.

dont use products to lower nitrates or ammonia...Clean your tank and change your water..Nitrates are the byproduct of ammo that is eaten by BB. Vac that gravel you will be ok. I know thats where its coming from. I promise

I am very uneasy about adding chemicals to the water. The only time I add anything to the water is when I do a water change and use the chlorine treatment. However in setting up my new tank I have to lower the PH. My tap water is around 7.0 and discus require 6.5. Is "pH down" okay to use on a tank that I haven't cycled yet? There are no fish in this yet and I plan to transfer my discus to their bigger home?

Back
Top Bottom