Problem with slow growing plants in a cycling aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cedric84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
This is my first post in this forum, I am glad to join this community :) I hope I can find some help here and I look forward for your recommendation and advices. I hope I can help others too later on.

Here is the configuration of my aquarium :
30 gallons freshwater tank.
12x1 Watt LEDs light 6000K.
Penn Plax Cascade 700 GPH Canister Filter.
EcoPlus 2 Air Pump for undergravel filter.
2 x Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Aquarium Circulation Pump 240 GPH.

I have started a new tank one week and half ago and couple days ago I have noticed a slight spike in my nitrite. Since then I do a water change every day. It looks like now my nitrite level is under control and my couple fishes look really happy.

As you can see in the pictures I have some algae problem on my anubias plants. There are some black and brown spot on their leaves. I have tried to delicately swipe the surface of the leaves with my finger to see the texture (i is not slimy) and it goes away pretty easily. My amazon sword and cryptocorine are OK though. My plants have 10h of light daily and the water temperature is 78F. I do not have anything to control CO2 level (except my plants!). Also I have noticed that on my white rocks, I have some brown algae developing, are those diatoms ? Other data-point, the substrate I use is brand new.

If anybody has experienced similar problem and found a solution, please let me know and I will give a try.

Thanks for your help.

ZvzysLv.jpg

KKUM7V0.jpg

ztqsdgd.jpg

Diatoms are common in all new tanks. They will usually go away after a while. What you can do is try not to overfeed and lower the light period. Did you take off the pot/wool or whatever the plants came in?

Yes I have removed every pots from plants. So you confirm that what is on the white rocks is diatoms? Not sure if it is easy to see on the pictures... Regarding, the food I am not overfeeding them, every pellets is consumed after each serving.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok diatoms usually grow in new tanks because they live on nutrients and phosphates. If you have an API master test kit then you can check your phosphate levels. Since it's a new tank and the stuff on the rocks is brown, it's most likely diatoms though I can not confirm it because I can't really see the brown stuff in the pics.

Reduce lighting to 6-8 hours daily. Invest in a cheap timer.
Make sure you get root tabs for Swords and Crypts.

Don't plant Anubias, tie or glue them to rock or wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have invested in a cheap timer and reduce the time. I am concerned that my sword and crypto will not have enough light... I will replant the anubias, on my drift wood (in a shady spot) and send you some more pictures to have your thoughts on it.

I have replanted my Anubias in some shady places in my tank, the pictures don't render really weel, it seems brighter than the reality :
9cj3DLC.jpg

WoDmVdb.jpg

Probably, a dumb question but can I expect things to get back to normal as fast as turned "bad" ( 3 days or so).

For future work, here is a global picture of my tank. Is it OK to add more plants to it ? I would like to add some low profile plants on the front (since I have moved the anubias on the driftwood, it is kind of empty). Any recommendation?

iZpeHvA.jpg

The more plants the better in my tanks. Carpeting plants are tricky, but Staurogyne repens can be kept trimmed. Or Crypt parva or Dwarf Chain Swords are nice.

I had a similar problem but my tank was finished the cycle. I got two Chinese Algae Eaters and within a week my tank was spotless.
Not sure if they will be strong enough fish to handle the cycling of the tank..

I had a similar problem but my tank was finished the cycle. I got two Chinese Algae Eaters and within a week my tank was spotless.
Not sure if they will be strong enough fish to handle the cycling of the tank..

CAE are known to stop eating Algae and start eating body slime off of slow/sleeping fish as they get older.
CAE can be quite aggressive and get big. I never recommend them.

It's better to prevent/control Algae than to buy a fish. Better to fix the issue.

Algae problems is probably due to your long lighting period. 6-8hours is better. Get a timer for your lights

Diatom algae feed off the silicates in a new tank. Normally from new sand or gravel. Diatoms will go away on their own once these silicates are used up.

You can plant anubias plants. They dont have to be tied to rocks or wood. Just dont plant the rhizome beneath the substrate otherwise they will die. My anubias is buried and its doing fine

As mentioned your swords and crypts will need root tabs. They take in all their nutrients from their roots. Not many nutrients to be found in standard gravel.

Carpeting plants are great but most need very good lighting. I dont reckon you've got good lighting so do research on plants before you buy

Back
Top Bottom