problems with Anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short, I was doing a water change on my 10G and there is some funky red stuff growing on my Anubias, funky as in war of the worlds red vine looking funky.
Anyone know what this is and how I can save my tank from the apocalypse?

ForumRunner_20130428_010334.jpgForumRunner_20130428_010345.jpg

i have never seen that before. you may want to scrape it off the plant but try not to hurt it

Ditto in not seeing that before. Perhaps a type of algae. Is it confined to the anubias? You could try rinsing or gently picking it off. Or a quick peroxide bath.

Put some peroxide in a spray bottle, and spray it down really well, then leave it set foe about 15 minutes. Keep it wet with peroxide while its out of the tank. Rinse well then return it to the tank. That should take care of it, if its a type of algae.

I picked it all off of the plant, it came off all connected like a vine. <- If that makes sense.
It just boggles me, I can't find anything on it info wise and no one that I've spoken to about it has a clue what it is. I'm just concerned that it could attack the other plants.

I picked it all off of the plant, it came off all connected like a vine. <- If that makes sense.
It just boggles me, I can't find anything on it info wise and no one that I've spoken to about it has a clue what it is. I'm just concerned that it could attack the other plants.

That is strange. Considering the countless number of terrestrial vine like plants there are, I would not be surprised if aquatic species exist as well.

Hmm, this is an odd one.

How old is the tank? The anubias? Is it growing on the plant or from the plant? If you chunk it off, does it come back?

I had something like that on my rotala indica stems only not as thick as yours. I never figured out what it was, but it's only ever happened to my rotala! Killed off most of them, but the pieces that weren't effected I trimmed off and let grow in my clippings tank and they never grew it again.
I suspect that it was some sort of algea, but there are so many different types of it I never really bothered to look into what exactly it was.

I suspect that it was some sort of algea, but there are so many different types of it.

I have spent the last few days researching, reading, googling and asking others but still have come up with nothing. You wouldn't believe how many algae articles I've read in that short course of time but still no idea. I'm totally stumped. All I can basically do from this point is hope it doesn't grow back.

this may sound strange but it reminds me of the "curly leaf" disease I have seen on my mom's peach trees (or nectarines, plums or something, one of those fruit). We just trimmed each branch showing signs of the disease, yearly right before spring, so February here.

It looks gnarly! I would keep it in a vase maybe? see what happens. Looks so bizarre

Back
Top Bottom