Profile: Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
id say false percula would fit what you need, Be careful about dominos they get aggressive later on in life, and will pick fights with fish much bigger then them, which would mean your shy gramma, goby and cardinals would be long gone.

:fadein:
:(

My false percs hosted with a colt coral. They used to hover above the pw at night. About a week after adding a colt to the tank, they hung around it during the day and then by 2 weeks, they were sleeping in it at night. It's home sweet home for them.

I have a "nemo looking" clown. sorry don't know for sure the exact type. i've had 5 different anenomes(ringed, condilactus, rock flower, pink tipped, and sebae) and he wouldn't go near any of them. i've heard that tank raised clowns wont go in an anenome, that only wild caught clowns do. i wish my clown would learn to like the anenomes, i think it's awesome that they do that and would like to be able to watch it in my tank.

According to John Tullock, here is a list of anemone's and the fish they host...

Entacmaea quadricolor (Bulb, Bubble Tip, Maroon or Rose Anemone) - will usually host Maroon, Bluestripe, Tomato and Clark's.

Macrodactyla doreensis (Long Tentacle Anemone) will usually host Clark's, Pink Skunk, Maroon, Bluestripe and Tomato.

Heteractis crispa (Leathery Anemone) will usually host Clark's, Bluestripe, True Perc, Pink Skunk and Saddleback.

Heractis aurora (Beaded Anemone, Aurora Anemone) only common aquarium clown hosted is Clark's.

Heteractis malu (Sebae Anemone, Singapore Sebae) only hosts Clark's in nature, may host Tomato and Bluestripe in aquariums.

Heteractis magnifica (Magnificent Anemone, Ritteri Anemone, Red Radianthus Anemone) hosts Clark's, bluestripe, Oscellaris, True Perc and Pink Skunk.

Stichodactyla gigantea (Giant Carpet Anemone) hosts Clark's Ocellaris and True Perc.

Stichodactyla haddoni (Haddon's Carpet, Saddle Carpet Anemone) hosts Saddleback and Clark's.

Stichodactyla mertensii (Merten's Carpet, Sri Lanka Carpet) hosts Clark's and Ocellaris.

(Natural Reef Aquariums, John H. Tullock, pg 208)

The first two types listed are the only ones recommended for beginner's in the hobby. The others are listed as expert care required. I was dissapointed to find out that the only anemone's recommended as hosts for ocellaris require expert care, as I have an ocellaris and am far from an expert.

BTW, my ocellaris (Nemo) and Regal Blue Tang (Dory) get along great! They both slide inside their own conch shell at night and sleep. Very cute. Can't wait to get them moved into the big tank and find an anemone for the clown.

Hope this list helps!

my clownfish did fine without an anemone, when i added one one clown became aggressive, i guess she changed sex, the anemone was sucked up the filter, it died and made a mess, now my clowns are very close and doing fine with no anemone, i have had them for about 18 months

When you buy clowns you need to remember if you don't buy a mated pair they might fight for domiance unless you tank is big enough for them both.

Sry to bump thread but i wanted to say something.

Yesterday i went to my junk LFS, and there they had two percs. They were easily the cutest little fish i had ever seen. Not only were they cute, but fun to watch. At one point, one fish was following wherever i dragged my finger, but then right in the middle of that one fish following my finger, the other perc nipped at the other perc. They both got side-tracked and it looked like they were literally bickering at eachother. They were face to face with their little mouths opening and closing and they were making short fast movements. I thought it was the funniest thing i'd ever seen. But i did notice one thing, but maybe it was my imagination or something, but it looked like they had uber small teeth. And i mean like really really small teeth. Do these percs have teeth?

My clowns have hosted a nem,heater,HA and now host and lay eggs in a terracotta pot,my picasso clowns host the overflow.(yes I have 2 pairs and they get along fine,even when my perc's are guarding the clutch of eggs)

My clowns have hosted a nem,heater,HA and now host and lay eggs in a terracotta pot,my picasso clowns host the overflow.(yes I have 2 pairs and they get along fine,even when my perc's are guarding the clutch of eggs)

How big is your tank and how long have the 2 pairs been going? Did you add all 4 at the same time? I'd really love to get 2 pairs of clowns going in my future tank. Any tips on keeping 2 pairs of clowns would be great. Thanks!

I had two clown pairs that were fine for a few months and then one day it just didnt work anymore. I had to remove one pair the same day it started not working. I had them in a 125g tank.

I had two clown pairs that were fine for a few months and then one day it just didnt work anymore. I had to remove one pair the same day it started not working. I had them in a 125g tank.

Ah bummer. Was hoping a 125 was big enough for 2 pairs of clowns.

I can't recommend it from my experience but some people have gotten away with it. Alot depends on the clowns.

The wife and son want their nemo's, but i'm dying for some picassos. May have to get one of each instead of doing two pairs.

You could always start up a nano and have your designer clowns in there. That was my plan for my biocube, designer clowns. :) Snowflakes or black ice ones

Wife would kill me if I got another tank....though my bday is comming up. May just try the 2 pair and move them later if thy start to be aggressive.

I had 2 true percula clowns and a hippo tang, they use to swim all around the tank together. I just recently made the mistake of buying a puffer who ate one of the clowns and my tang. Now my other clown is all alone and not wanting to eat, so I think I'm going to have to go out and buy another clown. The whole point of the tank was for the clowns and the tang.

I have an ocellaris pair (tank-raised) in my 40 gal and a Black Onyx Percula pair (wild-caught) in my biocube. I love them both. Very fascinating to watch.

How big is your tank and how long have the 2 pairs been going? Did you add all 4 at the same time? I'd really love to get 2 pairs of clowns going in my future tank. Any tips on keeping 2 pairs of clowns would be great. Thanks!
I have a 60g(uk) tank.my breeding pair of percs have been in the tank for nearly 2 years and the picasso clowns have been in there for 6 months,if you have a look in the thread I started called how many nems can you count it shows a tank owned by a friend of mine,its a 200g tank and has 5 tangs and 4 pairs of different clowns.

Back
Top Bottom