Progressions to My 5 Gallon: Run-off from "Micro fish for a 5 Gallon?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshObsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone! :dance:
Earlier in the forum I started a thread asking what fish would be a good fit for my 5.5 Gallon Micro tank.
After many pages of discussion and great help from Coursair, Jetajockey, Aqua_Chem, absolutangel04, siva, and Austin.b, I got 4 CPDs and an Apple Snail. At the moment the tank is bare with fake plants and a fake wood decoration. I want to fill the tank with plants to get a more natural look and cover for shrimp I am going to get in the future. I am taking this pretty slow considering the tank has been up since a month ago. Next step is upping the CPDs schools. Today I am going to the LFS getting plants and CPDs. This is just a thread for any one who is interested in seeing the progression of my tank! I'm going to need all of you to help me throughout this! Feel free to post a reply whenever you want. I want some constructive criticism as I will be posting pics and I am always welcome to hearing opinions and such.

Here is the tank now:
IMG_1323.jpg

:ermm: Needs improvement. I'm planning on doing a low tech, low light plant tank with weekly dosings of Flourish and daily dosing of Excel.

:thanks: a lot! :fish1:

On the iPhone. Just stopped by the LFS got 2 more CPDs, Dwarf Sag, Anubias Coffeefolia, and some free moss. Pics will be up soon! :)

Lucky your LFS has CPDs. Beautiful fish.

I came in late on your last thread, I'm here now

Lucky your LFS has CPDs. Beautiful fish.

I came in late on your last thread, I'm here now
This thread will be much better. Although, not many seem interested. Welcome ;)
I love these little guys, except their price; $7 per CPD. I'm now like $50 in with my current stock. Many sites have the for sale for much cheaper, shipping comes into play, though.
Still not home yet...I am draining the water and taking out the fish, adding more sand, planting, then some nice pics will be up when I get finished.

I suspect the CPDs will be pretty pale in this setup. Personally this plastic-only is not my thing at all!

wijnands said:
I suspect the CPDs will be pretty pale in this setup. Personally this plastic-only is not my thing at all!

But from the sounds of it, plastic is just to get started and the plan is for more natural as time and resources permit, isn't it?

I am following. I have a couple of 5 gallon betta tanks I am always puttering with and a 29 gallon I am currently cycling.

But from the sounds of it, plastic is just to get started and the plan is for more natural as time and resources permit, isn't it?

I am following. I have a couple of 5 gallon betta tanks I am always puttering with and a 29 gallon I am currently cycling.
Exactly Erin.
If that person read it correctly I got plants today at my LFS! I got Anubias coffefolia, free moss, and Dwarf Sag. :) More plants will be added. The tank is hella cloudy right now and I need to acclimate everyone. Pics will be up later tonight. This job took 2 hours: Put in more sand then add he plants, scape, and put i all back together again :p
Thanks for following. :dance:

Me either. Added live plants. Pics will be up later, read the beginning post.

Last edited by a moderator:
FreshObsessed said:
Yeah my LFS owner is a super nice guy and gave me some nice moss. I am letting it take over ;)
Welcome to the thread! :D

I've been looking everywhere for some lol I have one more lfs to check hopefully they'll have some
And thanks good luck with the tank and can't wait to see pics

What is your light, light type and tank height you'll be good if you plant everything right, I hope.

Anubias doesn't like to be planted too deep. Moss looks best if it is tied down, but grows best free floating most times.

Do you have rocks or DW to attach your dwarf sag to?

Edit: while I was typing you posted your light size. It should be good for low light plants, but blue light is a light plants don't really care about. You should get natural or daylight bulbs

I've been looking everywhere for some lol I have one more lfs to check hopefully they'll have some
And thanks good luck with the tank and can't wait to see pics
Don't worry, you'll deffinitely find some. Pics will be up soon. I am acclimating my CPDs back to this tank and it is still a bit cloudy from the addition of more sand. No matter how many times I wash it the sand still clouds the tank.

What is your light, light type and tank height you'll be good if you plant everything right, I hope.

Anubias doesn't like to be planted too deep. Moss looks best if it is tied down, but grows best free floating most times.

I just lightly put sand over my Anubia's roots after attaching it to a rock-like thing.
I have my moss clumped in this little crevice in this wood decor i have and I am hoping it will spread around. :) Ialso have some in the filter to grow down the "water fall"
I have a t5ho 8 watt 10 k bulb on the tank
No the Sag is just in the sand.

Edit: while I was typing you posted your light size. It should be good for low light plants, but blue light is a light plants don't really care about. You should get natural or daylight bulbs

It isn't blue. Sorry it isn't 10k. :banghead: The bulb says 10kk. Not sure what that means. It is a bright white. I will show pictures soon.

FreshObsessed said:
It isn't blue. Sorry it isn't 10k. :banghead: The bulb says 10kk. Not sure what that means. It is a bright white. I will show pictures soon.

10kk means a million of something. Who knows. The light is definitely sufficient.

I like the HOB moss waterfall idea lol

10kk means a million of something. Who knows. The light is definitely sufficient.

I like the HOB moss waterfall idea lol
Can't take credit at all for it, though! I was browsing through threads and found a link to planted HOB filters. It is rather easy with Aqua Clears. I just love getting into the world of planted tanks. What other plants would you suggest? I want a taller background plant.

Back
Top Bottom