Proper feeding- All input is very appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefcowboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

I know this could be a dumb question, since we all know Variety is key when it comes to feeding the fish. However, I notice that after I first started treating the fish occasionally with live brine, they have been showing less and less interest on frozen ones/other kinds. I have also good quality pellets and flakes but the only ones that seem attracted to those foods are the shrimps.
I have a royal gramma that used to eat the pellets, but now looks at it like its garbage. My gold bar maroon clown quickly swims to the top of the tank when I come close expecting food but when I feed the frozen(brine/mysis), he eats some pieces, then only grabs the rest and then spits out at the anemone's mouth.
When I feed them live brine, they eat WAY more, trying to steal every bit from the other and the tank looks like a bar fight. At these times the clown seems to forget the anemone even exists and all the food goes to his belly only.I keep reading that live brine is not a good food, because it is not complete and should be only fed randomly, so what would you suggest me to do in order to get them to re-adapt to a better diet? You guys that have success in your tanks, please tell me what is the "menu" for the week at your tanks. I know these fish are being spoiled but what is the procedure to reverse the problem? starve and only feed frozen/dry?Also what would be the implications of feeding live brine constantly? lack of health?
I usually buy the live from the LFS, and even considered hatching them myself if feeding the tank those foods is something that could be done with no problems.
I thank in advance for all the help!!

Brine shrimp just don't have much nutritional value because they have such a small gut. I would just stop feeding the live brine regularly. Just feed the frozen and pellets for a while. They will switch back when they get hungry. How often are you feeding?

pat8you,

Thanks for the advice,
I also asked that because I started feeding again the frozen brine and the brand i feed (San Francisco Bay) doesnt seem to be that much better, for all I can see is just frozen brine, which would not make a difference from live...I could though be wrong, since I know sometimes they add vitamins...What is a good brand of frozen foods? Also, I fed my clown bloodworms, and he seemed to like it..Would that be a good food for saltwater fish?
I feed the fish once a day, amounts that they eat quickly

My clown was doing the same thing so I took some frozen foods, flake and a little bit of chopped up silver side and added concentrated garlic extract. Now everything in the tank goes ape **** over it!

Seachem has a product called Entice that works very well. Soak the pellets in it for a bit and they should go for them again, although I don't think flakes would work. It has garlic and vit C which is a healthy addition to your fishes diet.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Hey guys, thanks for all the good info...
I have 2x green chromis, and a watchman goby besides the clown and royal gramma. I never heard of this product Entice, like the name says, it might have some attractive that makes them interested in the food...
XxVooDooxX, interesting what you feed your tank...You make some prepared food with all the others? Could you say more about it?
Thanks

I just take a few cubes of "emerald entrée" a small brick of frozen vitamin enriched brine, marine chips flake food add equal parts of all the food then just a few thin slices of silver side fish. After that I take a few drops of the garlic (you can get it at petco or any other place) and put a few drops of that stuff in there, let it thaw, mix it up and keep it in a closed container in the fridge and you have yummy meals for quite a while :)

Back
Top Bottom