Proper lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It should be fine for plants. If i'm not mistaken that's a 10000k bulb correct? People usually rely more on the color temperature of a bulb rather than the spectograph. In general 6500k is a good temperature bulb for plants and 10000k will work as well.

If it says 17,000K, it's definitely blue. Actinic lighting is not suitable for plants...You'll end up growing algae instead.

It likely means 17,000 lumens rather than light temperature. That's a meaningless number.

What light fixture is it?

Uh oh, your going to unleash the AquaChem with that statement! Lol

:facepalm:OOps... did I make a booboo?? LOL

I'm not a reef/salty guy so I just thought anything above 10,000K would be seriously blue... not sure how far up the scale it goes and where actinic lighting falls into. I ran actinic 50/50 bulbs oblivious to the affects on a FW planted long time ago... I grew A LOT of algae! :oops:

I guess I was making my comparison within the confines of this:
color_temperature.jpg

EDIT:

So are we talking Lumens or Kelvins here???

Last edited:
LOL... it says 17,000 lifetime hours with only 400 lumens. It's at the extremely low light level. Only good for fish only tanks, maybe as a supplemental light system to something more powerful.

LOL... it says 17,000 lifetime hours with only 400 lumens. It's at the extremely low light level. Only good for fish only tanks, maybe as a supplemental light system to something more powerful.

+1

You can grow plants such as java fern, java moss, bolbitis, and anubias under that light but not much more.

What size tank and what plants are you interested in growing? Maybe you can return that light and we can recommend something more capable within your budget (hopefully)?

I have several compacta plants, a moss ball, and some dwarf hairgrass. I have a 20gal tall. I have the original hood light. I rechecked the pkg, and its 550 Lumens. If that makes any difference. Lol

I have several compacta plants, a moss ball, and some dwarf hairgrass. I have a 20gal tall. I have the original hood light. I rechecked the pkg, and its 550 Lumens. If that makes any difference. Lol

The "compacta" (hygrophilla cprymbosa) and the moss ball will do well under most lights, the dwarf hair grass will need much more. I've grown the corymbosa under t8, t5no, t5ho, and a combination with a finnex ray 2. Its a pretty great plant if you give it a little lovin every now and then

What's the original hood light? You could get a versa top and just replace the lighting all together. Either with a better LED fixture or a T5. I'm just not sure how long ago you got that marineland LED, but if it's from petco/petsmart, you can get your money back. Unless you're happy with that light? I just don't think it's very capable and there's better options out there.

I mostly liked it for the "night" feature to help provide a better day/night rhythm while still being able to watch them. I wouldn't mind using the fluorescent tube with the LED. Or am I missing the mark completely? Lol

Back to the store it goes then. The hood light was just a 20 inch from walmart. I'm not really sure on the specs. I didn't know how much II didn't know until I knew. Lol.

I think I got the aquarium bug, i'm already looking at upgrading to a bigger setup... Lol Would that setup be ok until then?

I suppose you could if you're okay with only keeping the lowest of low light tolerant plants. If you want to grow a wider variety of plants, you should upgrade the lighting.

Edit: your DHG wouldn't survive though.

Back
Top Bottom