Proper Way to clean 10g HOB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi i am just wondering what is the proper way to clean out the bio filtration on my HOB.

photot.jpg

Thanks AA

If what you want to clean is the bio-bag you're holding on to. I just give my a good rinse/swish in tank water (not actually in the tank of course). I think that's the way most people do it. Sure saves on buying more!

What are they, $2-$3 each?

If it's a once-a-month thing I say shop for the best deal and buy a new one. Some fish stores wheel and deal. See if you can get a discount.

In a ten gallon tank watch out for a mini-cycle though.

I usually use mine until they fall apart. There is really no reason to keep changing them unless you have treated your tank for disease. When I change my water I rinse it off with the tank water and squeeze it out a couple of times and put it back in. I found if I change the bio bag the same time I do a water change I have more of a chance of a mini cycle especially on a tank that is newly establish usually under 6 months old. I don't use charcoal since I use fertilizers for my plants, some say that do use charcoal others say they don't, I think it is a personal preference.

I just bought a sheet of polyfiber that is unscented, no chemicals added, and then cut it to fit. I will use what I cut until it falls apart, rinsing it with water from my PWCs. I got sheet of it in a bag for like $6 and it will last me years and years.

Back
Top Bottom