Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm looking for a protein skimmer for my 265 gallon tank I was thinking of getting one that can handle up to 500 gallons however I was told by a guy at my local fish store that would be to much he said for me to only get one rated up to 300 gallons because the other one would completely strip all of the water of everything. What do you guys think should I get one rates for 300 gallons 400 gallons or 500 gallons. I plan on heavily stocking my tank.

I think that's nonsense. Get the biggest skimmer you can afford. What skimmer are you thinking of?

I was always told to get a skimmer rated for close to twice the size of your tank. If you plan on heavy stocking I wouldn't get one smaller then one rated for 400

I was thinking of getting the reef octopus space saver 5000 rates up for 500 gallons or the reef octopus diablo rated up to 500 gallons.

def nonsense. the only difference the overall size of the skimmer changes is the physical amount of waste it can pull out. it still pulls the same exact organics out, jsut alot more/

Yes....and if what they say is so, why aren't we using protein skimmers instead of RODI units? I mean...they strip the water clean, right?
Good choices on the skimmers IMO.

To the OP, you should at least double up on skimmer rating for your tank and get the best one you budget allows for. I have become a fan of Sea Side Aquatics skimmers

To the OP, you should at least double up on skimmer rating for your tank and get the best one you budget allows for. I have become a fan of Sea Side Aquatics skimmers
Very good skimmers. I recently put a SSA ES2 on a 150 I maintain. Very good quality.

I am partial to my Hydor skimmer. They seem bullet proof and are easy to adjust. I agree on twice the size recommended. You can't have too much skimmer IMO.

Back
Top Bottom