Pseudomugil gertrudae aka Spotted Blue-Eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkelly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anybody have experience with these guys? I had been debating between these and celestial pearl danio, but have finally decided that the spotted blue-eyes will look best against my dark substrate. The CPDs will have to wait till I set up a second tank in the future Anyway, would the spotted blue-eyes be OK with a honey gourami in my 10 gallon? If so, how many spotteds? Also, aside from a honey gourami, any other suggestions as to a solo fish to put with my spotted blue-eyes?

You could easily do ten in a 10g. I actually had a honey gourami with my gertrudae's in a 10g but had to remove it because it was a little too aggressive. However I do think that was more the personality of that particular gourami and IMO a honey gourami would work in most cases, as would a sparkling gourami. After moving the honey gourami out I instead opted to have my gertrudae's with RCS, who managed to reproduce very quickly and within 5-6 months I had a fairly large colony. Couple of recommendations: definitely get more females to males as if not the males can end up bullying the females to death. Get some floating plants such as frogbit or dwarf water lettuce. Since they hang out at the top so much this gives them some cover and also discourages any jumpers. Finally make sure the food you feed them is very small as their mouths are quite tiny. Great fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom