Pump size, Protien skimmer, Setup questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeraljay

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am sorry guys I am a noob, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read and reply to this. I have been wanting a salt water tank for some time know, I was a pool man for 4 1/2 years so I have some idea of chemistry and understand the importance of being proactive regarding regular maintenance and prevention. Well I found a tank on ebay that is cheap and I liked the cabinet, and its 10 miles away. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/80-GALLON-GLASS...ryZ20755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have been reading the articles in the help section and they are very helpful. Here is wha I understand so far;

you do not want en excessive amount of ammonia in your tank(it is harmful),

Ammonia levels should be at 0.00 as well as nitrate levels, but you need ammonia to produce ammonia killing bacteria.

A sump is best if it is as large as your tank and is a good tool to balance your water, replace water, and in balancing chemistry(due to the fact you are balancing a larger body of water which is inherently more stable).

syphon line and return lines should have equal flow so you reach equilibrium as far as water levels are concerned.

Fish should be allowed to aclimate to water temp and a quarentined sample of the water itself before being introduced for 3-4 hours.

Protien skimmers are the best way to remove fish waste

Wet dry systems are the best

Thats it so far, I have only been reading for an hour or so. Are my assumptions correct?

If you dont want to read the crap above here are my real questions

1) I havent seen anything on what type/size/brand pump and filtration system I shouls use

2)Should I use check valves and ball valves in my plumbing construction?

Once again I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this I know it was long winded.

Sincerely
Jeff

Here goes, and I am sure others will chime in as well:

You want absolutely zero ammonia, nitrites, nitrates (ideal is zero with 'trates) and phosphates.

The sump does not have to be as big as your tank, but a big sump helps. It adds more water to your system, keeping water quality fluctuations less noticeable to your inhabitants.

Youre good with acclimation. Drip acclimation works well. 3 hours is more than enough, and will be good for corals, sea stars and snails as well. As far as the quarantine, most folks on here quarantine their new fish in a separate tank for a few weeks to make sure it's not diseased before adding it to the main tank-and causing a disaster.

Protein skimmers are a great way to remove wastes, etc. Another great way (and it needs to be done, no matter what) is a regular water change. This replenishes necessary trace elements.

As far as your other questions, a lot of tanks come ready to go, the plumbing you would have to do is minial. Or, you can get as complicated as you like and feel comfortable with. I try to keep it simple, less chances of having problems. The size of your pump depends on the size of your tank. You want sufficient water turnover per hour in your tank. Are you going to have a reef tank or a FOWLR? You want lots of flow if youre going to have corals, etc., they will thank you for it.

Hope this helps!

I would like to eventually have fish with invertabrates(anenomies and the like) and live rock. Not necessarily coral. Is that do able?

What type of pump and Wet dry system should I be looking at to purchase? Brands?

Jeff

I think a refuge is a better choice than the wet dry. Wet dry`s have a rep of being nitrate factories. I had one for several years. I know

Refuge, as a pump , but what type of protien skimmer is best? Iam getting a 72-80 gallons tank.
I have been trying to find a flow calculator to estimate correct pump size and head loss. I cant seem to find one on. I found all kinds of other calculators but now flow calculators.

BTW you have some gorgeous pictues in your gallery :p

Here is the setup I am thinking

Here is how I am thinking to setup it right now:

I have a 72 g tank(I just found out, I thought it was 80)

a 50-60 gallon sump

I am going to have my tank drilled for two drain lines on both sides

My protien skimmer in the sump( I dont know which brand yet.)

As a return pump back to my tank I want to use a use foutian or low hp pool pump. My buddy who is still in the pool industry has a lot of used smaller fountain pumps that are really good quality and should give me adequate gph. The return pump will be next to the sump.

I am think I am goin to have return lines drilled as well , I am thinking about four. I decided I want to do a reef setup so I will need a lot of flow.

Also Ball valves on every line incase I need to isolate or control flow.

This is my basic setup, I know I will probably need some other things I just gotta figure out what. I have only been at this a week now:)

Also I was told by a guys at the aquarium store I should aim for a 500-600 gph turn over? I dont know

What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom