put together a tank but hit disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kilicar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

So I am making a mini reef or so I thought. I had everything set up and found someone who had some ex-live rock. He was giving it away. He had it in his tank for years and it was full of life but he let it dry out. He gives it to me saying that he cleaned them all. Now my tank has little dead creatures floating around and my cycled water is yellowish. I have my filter working and left it overnight hoping it would be clean. It is a little cleaner now but I dont know what to do.

I have nothing living in the tank except for the sand. I wanted to let the tank cycle for a month or so before I added stuff.

Do you think this will clear up after a few water changes?
Is there anything I can get to help the clean up? (like a small clean up crew?)
Any advice would be great.

It should clear up within a day or two, you can do a small water change to help it along. You can also add some carbon or some sort of filter media to catch particulates faster.

Thank so much you just made me so happy I really didnt want to restart. I really wanted to take my time and make this a nice mini reef.

Make sure you read the cycling and curing rock articles in our section here. They are a big help. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom