PVC good to put under substrate and make caves or tunnels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have seen PVC caves, but I don't know about totally burried. But I suppose it would be ok. It would be easier to take half a pvc pipe, silicone your substrate on outside top of it, then it would be a tunnel but only placed on top of the gravel for easy removal, inspection and cleaning?

or buy 2-3 inch pvc pipe, and some 45 degree elbows ( something the fish can swim in and out of easily ) connect one on each end and them bury it, don't use any pvc glue or anything as it may kill your fish, you might have to attach a piece of slate or something to the bottom so it doesn't float back up

PVC solvent is just fine in aquarium situations. It's used all the time for DIY projects. Just make sure it's fully cured before introducing it into the aquarium. If you're leary you can always get the type that's geared for drinking water.

Slate is a type of rock to help weight it down. I used marble before, and just siliconed it onto the marble, and buried the marble in the gravel. Worked just fine. Might even be able to just put some of your gravel in it to weight it down. Shouldn't take much to keep it down.

I like to put it under heavy substrate where to once it is in place no way to take back out cause substrate, rocks and plants will be over it. is this ok, even if gunk and waste from fish stays there?

The gunk and waste would need to be cleaned out of there just like anywhere else in the tank. Once every 3-4 weeks is the most I would push it before cleaning in it.

Or if heavily planted around it, the plants will take care of it for you, and won't need to worry about the gunk.

Back
Top Bottom