PWC Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been doing daily PWC's since I am doing a fish in cycle. Every night I have been filling gallon jugs so that by morning it will be room temperature. Long story short, i forgot to fill them last night. Is it imperative that the water I add be down to room temp to match whats in the tank? I am doing a 25% (4 Gallon) water change on a 20 Gallon tank if that makes any difference.

Personally I put in warmer water so that my fish don't get ick, been doing it this way for years with 100% accuracy.

Personally I put in warmer water so that my fish don't get ick, been doing it this way for years with 100% accuracy.

Its going into a cold water tank. Forgot to mention that. Only goldies in there :)

I never warm mine I just let the water jugs sit between water changes and I have a tropical tank. I don't think it will make a difference since goldfish are cold water fish anyway. You should be fine

Can you match the temp of the tank from the faucet water? Even if it's coldwater you should be able to roughly match the temp, I would think. If it's a degree or so off it should be fine, just feel the tank water with your hand and try to match it from the tap as best you can. That method works with tropical fish so I would think it would work for coldwater as well.

I never warm mine I just let the water jugs sit between water changes and I have a tropical tank. I don't think it will make a difference since goldfish are cold water fish anyway. You should be fine

Great!
I was afraid they were going to have to wait on their daily water change :)

Can you match the temp of the tank from the faucet water? Even if it's coldwater you should be able to roughly match the temp, I would think. If it's a degree or so off it should be fine, just feel the tank water with your hand and try to match it from the tap as best you can. That method works with tropical fish so I would think it would work for coldwater as well.

Should be fairly easy to do that. Their tank always feels ice cold to me, lol.

Do you have a thermometer yet? That's the way I used to do my freshwater. You took the temp of the tank then matched it with the faucet water. It works pretty well just don't forget to purify it.

Your fish will not get ich from adding water of a different temp . It has to be in the tank. If you had a case of ich, eradicated it, you will never have it again unless you reintroduce it. Water temp has nothing to do with it.

Personally I throw cooler or room temperature water, only because my water is already at the 84-86 degree mark, so I don't really want to raise the temperature any higher than it already is.

BillD said:
Your fish will not get ich from adding water of a different temp . It has to be in the tank. If you had a case of ich, eradicated it, you will never have it again unless you reintroduce it. Water temp has nothing to do with it.

Ick is a parasite in all water it does not thrive in warmer water.

I used faucet water and guessed on the temp today. My fish all seem happy and are swimming as usual :)

Both tanks tested .025 for ammonia before the PWC, need to re-test again in a bit. Gonna see if I can find a nitrate/nitrite water test kit later in the week when i can get to pet smart.

Thanks for all the help guys!

I use something similar to this on my 30 gallon tank. It's a 2 gallon drip bucket with grooves on the bottom, I do two of them every couple of days pre-conditioning it with prime and just let the water drip in. The fish don't even notice it. I use it for acclimatizing my fish too.

Attachments

• img_6315.jpg
    img_6315.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 64
HAVAMAL said:
Ick is a parasite in all water it does not thrive in warmer water.

Your saying the parasite is present on all water systems?...

Ich is an obligate parasite. Without a host(fish), it dies.

Once it's gone from a tank, it's gone. Unless you reintroduce it.

On the WC's. I use a thermo to get temps close. I think too much of a temp swing can stress them out.

roundar said:
Your saying the parasite is present on all water systems?...

The exact origin has been argued for years all saying is I use warmer water than what is in the tank and have never had a problem since, when I was younger I let water sit for a day and my fish would get ick so do as you wish I had someone give me this advice years ago and it works flawlessly.

Agreed with Roundar and Sparky. Plus your water supply comes to your home in one supply line and obviously is only warmed by the water heater. Some cysts are resistant to chlorine, but I can't imagine a parasite suddenly waking up and becoming a threat based on whether the temperature is raised or not. This is all assuming it's prevalent in tap water to begin with...even besides the fact previously mentioned that it needs a host to survive. I've heard this theory before...but I find it hard to believe it's anything more than a myth. It's kind of like the idea that I can sell you a rock which keeps tigers away...and it must be working because you haven't seen a tiger in your house since you bought it.

Last edited:
A classic example of mis-information purpetuated through internet forums then regurgitated through the internet.

:lol:

And that info will never die. You can only drown it with correct info to dilute the concentration.

Back
Top Bottom