pygmy cory question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveho

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey all just wanted to get ur experiance with these guys i was thinking of getting a group of 6 for my community do u think rams would be a thret to them ?! any other info u have about em is appriciated

What size tank?

Pygmy corys stay pretty small and don't just hang out at the bottom. I've never had rams so can't say if they are compatible. I have mine with other corys, otos, RCS and assassin snails.

my tank is a 55g in it i have 4 rams, 4 tri line corys, 8 zebra danio, 5 molly, 10 neon tetra, 2 sae, 3 mystery snail and my L022 pleco.
i alno have the tank moderatly planted with a sand substrate and it is filtered 11X per hour

Hi Dave,

There are three main dwarf cories: Corydoras hastatus, C. pygmaeus and C. habrosus. Back in '07 thru '10 I kept a small school of C. habrosus. As they died-out I never replaced them and ended up trading in the few that were left. I kept them in a 12-gallon Eclipse with galaxy rasboras. They are active little fish that love to swim all over the tank. In my most humble opinion, they are not good for a 55-gallon; they are just too small for such a big tank. Unless you get a large school, all you'll see are a few ¾" fish out and about. Trust me, you'll enjoy them more in a smaller tank.

I've kept and bred rams as well, but in a different tank. With that said, I don't foresee a problem with keeping them together in a 20-long tank, but not anything smaller than that. And of course, as with most cichlids, anything in a tank with a breeding cichlids may not be a happy camper.

David

Attachments

• PICT0223.JPG
    PICT0223.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 55
  • PICT0225.JPG
    PICT0225.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 61
  • PICT0232.JPG
    PICT0232.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 58
I agree that you would never see them. They seem to get lost in the plants in my 10g tank (until feeding time), so I don't think you would be able to enjoy them in a tank as big as yours. If you want a small cory, I suggest pandas or julii. They both stay more petite than some others (bronze for example), but you could get a decent sized school of them for your tank.

thanks for the replys guys. i have dicided to add a group to my new fry grow out tank

Back
Top Bottom