Pygmy Sunfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevLine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know any information on these guys?
Stumbled upon this photo on Google

Beautiful
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427603392.026164.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool water fish, prefer really heavily planted tanks, pretty much only eat live food. You might get them to take frozen bloodworms, or suitable sized golden pearls if you're lucky. Occasionally turn up on aquabid in the native fish section.

Talk to jetajockey if you see him around, he's got a colony of those or something similar.
Ps- you should send me some for research purposes. Preferably 2m/4f. Next day air;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gillie has kept everything unique and nano hahaha

I try lol, but there are still a few that elude my grasp.

Cool water fish, prefer really heavily planted tanks, pretty much only eat live food. You might get them to take frozen bloodworms, or suitable sized golden pearls if you're lucky. Occasionally turn up on aquabid in the native fish section.

That's pretty much the gist of successfully keeping them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good stuff guys. Cool water fish hm?would 72F water be okay? because I might consider keeping them in a good size tank along with scarlet badis and cherry shrimp in the future. Heavily planted and I'll make live worm, daphnia, or brine shrimp cultures for them. They should be compatible right? since they're generally peaceful. My question now is if they'll eat each other's fry...

Good stuff guys. Might consider keeping them in a good size tank along with scarlet badis and cherry shrimp in the future. Heavily planted and I'll make live worm, daphnia, or brine shrimp cultures for them. They should be compatible right? since they're generally peaceful. My only concern is if they'll eat each other's fry...

Unless it's a species only tank I don't count on fry not turning into a meal...

They are very shy and docile, scarlet badis would reign over them with an iron fist (or fin in this case). I kept them as the only species on the bottom with a group of leptolucania occupying the top.

They are very shy and docile, scarlet badis would reign over them with an iron fist (or fin in this case). I kept them as the only species on the bottom with a group of leptolucania occupying the top.

I wasn't sure about that since my badis only live with RCS. They are definitely territorial and have huge personalities!

found a video of someone keeping dario dario and elassoma in the same tank.

didn't really see any elassoma though because it was kinda of blurry at some parts, but what i do really want to note is that this person keeps an in-tank brine shrimp hatchery which i thought was really cool and would like to share with you guys!

If they were in that mass of pelia that was being focused in on, I would say that there was good reason why the buried themselves so deep inside. The amount of leeches in that tank was a bit odd though.

hmm you have a good point there! I only thought it was because they're generally shy. If kept in species only would they be more out in the open in your experience?

Mine were out and about often. If you provide them with an appropriate setup they aren't as shy.

I try lol, but there are still a few that elude my grasp.

That's pretty much the gist of successfully keeping them.

Is there any unique nano fish from Australia you're trying to get your hands on? I'd love to keep sunfish but I'd never see them here in aus.

Is there any unique nano fish from Australia you're trying to get your hands on? I'd love to keep sunfish but I'd never see them here in aus.

I definitely want to see the answer to this question (y)

Ummmm:

AquaBid.com - Item # fwrainbows1427998420 - 5 pk - Pseudomugil Cyanodorsalis - Breeding Colony - Ends: Thu Apr 2 2015 - 01:13:40 PM CDT

From Seriously Fish:
Type locality is ‘Crab Creek, about 15 kilometers east of Broome, Western Australia, about 17°59’S, 122°23’E’, but this species appears to be widely-distributed in coastal waters of northern Australia and possibly southern New Guinea.

When present it tends to be locally abundant and occur in large aggregations.

In Western Australia it’s been recorded from close to Broome and Wyndham, in the Northern Territory around Darwin, the Mary River National Park and on Melville Island, and in Queensland the Norman River.

Populations are normally labelled as such by enthusiasts in order to avoid cross-breeding.

Back
Top Bottom