qt tank/water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparky-277

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, had a few questions in my mind I wanted to ask and in reading over this site I see that the people here are the right ones to ask. I have recently caught the aquarium bug and have found researching and building my new freshwater aquarium to be both interesting and interesting. In my reading of the forums here I see talk about QT tanks and the necessity to do partial water changes on a regular basis. My question is, the 20 gal. tank I have to use as a QT tank, should I also use this to cycle water to do my partial water changes with? Is it necessary to cycle water prior to using it in a water change? I realize I cant use it straight from the tap as I have well water that is very acidic, and don't have the space for both a QT tank and to keep a container full of water on hand. Mainly what I was thinking was only using QT tank for new fish and in case I have a sick one in the future. But was'nt sure if I should cycle this tank or just adjust the PH and otherwise keep water "virgin". My main tank is a 40 gal. so the 20 will be sufficient for them 20/25 % changes that I read should be done on a regular basis. I would like to say that this forum is a wonderful source of information and I am enjoying all the topics very much. :D

There in reason to cycle water and letting it sit won't effect the Ph. Whats is the PH from your tap and how were you planning to adjust it?

The PH is 6.0 coming from my tap, in using the test kit the color of test water is yellow and it matches the 6.0 color on the reference card. Only way so far I know to adjust PH to raise it is to use sodium bicarbonate, which is what I found at the pet store to use for this purpose.

You could just fill a bucket, mark the 4 gallon mark or whatever size bucket you are using. Add the sodium bicarbonate in a premeasured amount. Test to make sure PH is correct and add it it to the tank. Just seems easier to me than filling a tank and then syphoning it back out.

I agree that does seem easy, and I do like easy lol. I just wasnt sure if it would be very important to cycle the water prior to using it to change water, and also would'nt I need to have a heater in it to bring it to the proper temp before using? I had read in a forum that fish are very sensitive to temp changes and a sudden change in either PH or temp would stress them. I realize I may be over complicating things just trying to get advice to do this in a manner that would be in the best interest of my fish. But if using uncycled water for a water change is fine, then could use other tank simply for a QT tank. Hope Im not sounding stupid, just trying to learn best methods for doing things. thanks

You don't need to cycle water prior to using if for a partial water change. I'm not even very sure what you mean by that. I recommend using a water conditioner when doing partial water changes but as far as cycling......

if you mean the process of building bacteria to change ammonia to nitrites to nitrates that happens in the tank and most of the good bacteria resides in your filter and substrate so adding clean fresh water to the tank is fine.

By cycle I think that he means adding the dechlorinator and letting it mix around.

What fish are you going to try to keep?

It is well water he should not have to dechlorinate. I think he means that someone told him you have to let your water sit out for 24 hours.

There are loys of fish that will do very well in water of a pH of 6 (most). So there should be no need to mess with the water parameters. One advantage to an acidic pH is that ammonia is rendered non toxic, since it is ammonium under those conditions. Unless there are disloved metals in the water, such as copper or iron, or high levels of sulphur, the water should be good as is. As mentioned above, you can add hot water to get the temp closer to tank temp. I generally add water that is warmer than the tank, but water of a few degrees difference will do no harm. You are not, after all putting the fish into water of different temp, but adding it to an existing larger body. It is quite normal to see fish swimming in the flow of the entering water, with no adverse effects; they seem to like it. I like to keep thing simple, and if you can get by without adding anything to the water, so much the better.

Thanks BillD, and everyone for there post, I understand what I need to do now though I realize I didnt phrase my question in a clear or concise enough manner. You guys really are a good source of information, even for those who are still trying to get a good handle on the right way and wrong way to go about things lol

Back
Top Bottom