QT Tank Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rozdab

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have all the necessary equipment for a 10 gallon QT tank.

My question is to fill the tank:

Should I start over with tap water and prime?

Or

Should I use the water from a w.c. from my established 29 gallon tank?

I put a 15 gallon bio wheel filter on my 29 in anticipation for this qt. Just FYI....

Thanks

I personally use a mix of 50/50 tank water and treated tap water...but it doesn't make much of a difference as long as the fish are acclimated to the QT. Good move thinking ahead with the second filter :)

Thanks Eco for quick response and I actually forgot that was suppose to be option 3 wifey actually thought of that I just forgot to put it in post. Thanks again.

I personally use a mix of 50/50 tank water and treated tap water...but it doesn't make much of a difference as long as the fish are acclimated to the QT. Good move thinking ahead with the second filter :)

+1 with eco23, that's how I got my 10gal QT going.

Thanks guys so now than another stupid question.

Will the QT tank be pretty much cycled?

Of course I will check it all the time. I'm gonna do a wc tonight and then the qt will be up and running too.

Family wants more fish but idk if that's to short of a time period to add to qt?

Guess depends on what my tests show?

I put that 2nd filter on maybe 2-3 weeks ago I know I need to keep a log of everything I do fish related lol

I am also gonna be doing the 50/50 mixture for it too.

Rozdab said:
Thanks guys so now than another stupid question.

Will the QT tank be pretty much cycled?

Of course I will check it all the time. I'm gonna do a wc tonight and then the qt will be up and running too.

Family wants more fish but idk if that's to short of a time period to add to qt?

Guess depends on what my tests show?

I put that 2nd filter on maybe 2-3 weeks ago I know I need to keep a log of everything I do fish related lol

I am also gonna be doing the 50/50 mixture for it too.

Depending on how long the second filter has been running on the DT (oops, just saw it's 2-3 weeks...should be good enough)...it should be a well established source of beneficial bacteria. A QT will obviously never be as heavily stocked as a display tank...so the donated filter should be able to handle the bio-load. As you said though, always test to be safe. You'll also want to monitor the tank it was removed from to ensure the loss of the BB doesn't cause a mini-cycle.

Yes I will. Actually acquired another 30 gal HOB to match the one that is on there so yes I'm afraid/nervous about mini cycle and also taking off one an adding a diff filter to it. We shall c. I will b very vigilante on both tanks.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom