QT Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I plan on setting up a 10 gal QT tank. I see most people set up a bare bottom tank for QT. I would like to know how much I can put in the tank. I mean can I put sand or maybe a Live Rock or two. I would like to make it something that I will keep running. I don't want to set it up then take it down when I'm done and set it up again when needed and have to cycle tank again. I might need it in an emergency for a sick fish. Maybe I would keep a damsel in the tank to keep tank going and if I had to I could put damsel in main tank. I have a 10 gal with a hob filter and a nano skimmer. I would just do maintenance like I would for main tank. I would like to make it as much of a mini version of my larger tank. I live in a 1 bedroom apt and would like to keep the QT tank out in the open and would like it to look nice. Any advice on how everyone else does it and if I could do what I want to do. If you can understand what I'm trying to do.
Thanks!
Jim

To make a QT into a min reef would defeat the purpoe of a QT if the animals need medicating.

QT aren't really meant to be cycled. They are temproary housing for fish which may or may not need medical treatment. The idea of having as bare of a QT as possible is to make it harder for any parasites to take hold in the QT and easier to erradicate with chemical based meds. To maintain the ammonia in a QT you'd simply do weekly water changes, perhaps twice a week while in use. The QT we use are given 25% water changes twice weekly and the fish fed sparingly to avoid ammonia. Stability is also added after the water changes.

If you want to make a QT look half way decent for display then you need to resort to fake plastic, non porous structures that can benefit the fish as hiding areas and easy to clean as well as hard for parasites to hide in (hence non porous). After each quarantine period, all structures should be disinfected. This can be done by soaking the structures in a mix of 4 parts water/1 part chlorine bleach for at least half an hour. Rinse well and then soak again in heavily dechlorinated water for a little bit. Double or even triple dose the dechlor. Rinse again and then place back into the QT.

Thanks for your help! Would I want to at least cycle the tank the first time when I want to QT new fish for my new tank. I wouldn't want to put my new fish through any stress. Or should I do as you say above and twice a week water changes?

All new fish will be under stress to begin with just by going from one system to another...as well as being netted and bagged. Whether the tank it goes in is cycled or brandy bare won't do much to relieve any of that stress nor add. So long as the pH, temp and SG are correct, it's good to go.

IMO from my experiences with fish and QT, I still opt for the bare, non cycled tank doing extra water changes to keep ammonia from registering. Some do use cycled QT but also have a third tank for hospitalization...which is not cycled. To keep a cycle active you'd have to keep a fish in the QT at all times which can become overly possessive in a ten gallon tank making it difficult for a new or sick fish...and you'd also be exposing the QT fish resident to whatever the fish your isolating may have.

Keep a filter sponge or other media in your sump....or in a filter you have running on your tank. When the QT tank is needed, remove the media and add it to your QT filter.....instant bacteria to help keep optimal conditions especially in a 10g where ammonia can build quickly.

When finished, toss out the media (while having another back in the display tank or filter). This makes it easy to tear down the QT and set it up quickly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom