Qting inverts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdogg85

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I buy inverts, should I qt them. I was wondering because if I remember correctly, I read somewhere that they can introduce disease to your tank. They may not be affected but disease and parasites can hitch a ride on them. Is this true or is there no need to qt inverts?

I personally don't QT inverts. The chance of disease is so slim that it doen't serve any real purpose. I just do a long acclimation and in they go.

Same here. I just chuck them in. After careful acclimation. They don't carry diseases like ich that harm your fish though so there's no need to worry about your fish. :)

That's what I was wondering. I know they can't get ich, but I wondered if the parasite might hitch a ride on one of them and infect my fish when it's introduced to the tank.

No reason too. The most i have heard coming from a invert is a apastia tagging along on a large hermit shell.

i know, it is like what are the chances. Happened in friends tank. You should of seen the look on his face trying to figure out were it came from.

Same here. I just chuck them in. After careful acclimation. They don't carry diseases like ich that harm your fish though so there's no need to worry about your fish. :)

why do you acclimate your inverts? I bought two hermit crabs and they said to lay them on a paper towel for 10 minutes and then put them in the tank without accimlation.

WHOA dont do that....drip acclimate just like a fish a coral. Anything they may carry is such a small chance seriously, unless your LFS's tank looks like do-do then i would put them in a QT or not buy them at all. Some inverts are so sensitive they cant even touch air at all i.e Starfish, Sea Cucumbers

Snow has a point. Who told you to put them on a paper towel? I mean.. maybe a minute tops, just to observe them, or something like that. But 10 minutes sounds a little drastic. I would advise to keep them in water at all times. I've seen a lot of QT questions and answers, and i've never seen anything like putting them on paper towels.

i would observe them during acclimation for the anemone problem they can have on there shell, but i wouldnt expose them to open air for any period of time, observe them in the bag. who did tell you this?

i would observe them during acclimation for the anemone problem they can have on there shell, but i wouldnt expose them to open air for any period of time, observe them in the bag. who did tell you this?

A guy who works at my LFS store, he told me to do the same with the mushroom coral. I thought it odd, but they have always been right about everything and have a very healthy stock of fish and coral.

Holy.. Please, PLEASE do not do that with any of your livestock. ESPECIALLY the mushroom coral. I would never keep any of my coral out of water for more than 30 seconds.. heck.. even less. Gluing the coral to attach it to a rock only takes 10 seconds at best than back in the water it goes.

Holy.. Please, PLEASE do not do that with any of your livestock. ESPECIALLY the mushroom coral. I would never keep any of my coral out of water for more than 30 seconds.. heck.. even less. Gluing the coral to attach it to a rock only takes 10 seconds at best than back in the water it goes.

well...this may explain why my mushroom coral isn't doing so well.

lol, your first mistake was listening to the LFS empolyee. You need to let the employee earn your trust. Maybe let them give you advice and then check it on here and see if it right. If they consistantly give u good info then there you go.

lol, your first mistake was listening to the LFS empolyee. You need to let the employee earn your trust. Maybe let them give you advice and then check it on here and see if it right. If they consistantly give u good info then there you go.

yea I see that now. its a family owned buisness and the employee that told me that is the guy I've gone to for everything and everythings hes said has been right or helpful...except that part. I'm going in tomorrow and while I'm there I'll ask about that. This was before I signed up here.

Back
Top Bottom