Quarantine Tank protocol advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leftyfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I have a Kole Tang in my 20g QT, bare bottom, no rock, just filter and heater. This is the same type of fish (different store) that wiped out my tank with ICH before I knew to use QT.

I'm trying to come up with a QT protocol that I can live with. I worry after watching the fish for a few weeks and then letting them loose in the DT that they will break out with ich or something else, mostly ich, right after I put them in. I will be stocking a 180g with tangs in the near future.

Does anyone propholactically do hypo on tangs as Steve Pro suggested in his older articles? It does not have any signs of ich and it is eating, but so did the other one I had and it broke out with ich about 3 weeks after I got it.

Also I will be getting some prazipro to deworm as I have read to do that. I'm assuming I will need to do that to the fish I already have when moving them to the 180?
Thanks!

some people treat a QT with copper and let the fish live in it for a little while. its kind of a good way to kill any parasite that the fish may be carrying, the copper also isn't harmful to the fish but it is for invers and coral

Gti_Leo said:
some people treat a QT with copper and let the fish live in it for a little while. its kind of a good way to kill any parasite that the fish may be carrying, the copper also isn't harmful to the fish but it is for invers and coral

Is the a brand name or something? I am about to buy some schooling bannerfish and would like to treat them with copper in my qt tank...

cupramine is a brand name that is fairly safe to use, you must get a cooper test kit, like Salifert, so you can test how much copper is in the water. Add it slowly, bring it up over the course of 4 or 5 days to the full amount.

Back
Top Bottom