Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

choupic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I was given a 10 gallon freshwater tank from a cousin. I was thinking of making a Quarantine tank out of it. This is my plans

1. Clean tank out with vinegar.
2. add live sand about 8lbs
3. add 3lbs of live rock (might add )
4. put in 1 heater and 1 power head and skimmer
5. add mixed water

Do I cycle this tank ?

Should I keep any fish in at all the time? (or just use when buying a new fish for a month)

My though is I might keep a pair of clowns in it and put it in my computer room.

I wouldn't add any thing other than PVC for hiding, ph, heater and skimmer. You will need to cycle the tank, or at least use some seeded media from your main.
You don't really keep livestock in it, just feed the tank about twice a week, to keep the beneficial bacteria fat and fed.
I don't think you could actually keep two clowns in that size tank.

You wont want to put sand and LR in there. First time you treat esp with copper you will kill all life in sand and Rock. And you wont be able to use in any other tank.

Just put a few flakes in there and they will feed the bacteria as the decompose.

I would not even add skimmer. Qt tanks are usually setup and broken down when needed. Fill it with water from the tank when needed. When done empty, clean and put away. PS once its setup use only new salt water when you do pwc.

Back
Top Bottom