Quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can i use a QT tank without cycling it properly. I thought i could maybe get away with using ammonia, nitrite nitrate reducers and a seeded sponge and watch closely, what do you think of this idea

If you have a seeded sponge from an established tank you should be fine. You should also use at least 50% of the water from your main tank.

IMO, if its a new arrival, your seeded (7 day sponge) would be OK. You could also use 100% water from your (parasite free) main.
A cycle in qt is a relative thing anyway. Frequent water changes will be in order until the bacteria catches up with the bioload.

Very good, have change water ready. The copper will most likely mess with your nitrifying bacteria and water changes will be need to battle the ammonia. Check your ammonia every day if possible.
Good luck!!

yes i am vacuuming the detritus every day, and i added another seeded sponge as im most worried abut the QT being overstocked. I havent lost a fish yet and i plan to keep it that way. Also im keeping the display tank empty for 6 weeks.

Great plan!! It is not easy, have done it a couple times myself. It is a battle that can be won!! :wink:

1 week later and the coral beauty still has spots, the copper is stable at 0.5, why isnt it working?? All the other fish look fine.

Is she acting normal? Eating?
If she had a bad infection, it may be scars from the parasite and they will go away. Which copper are you using and what test kit?
No carbon right?
How are your water parameters running in the qt?

eating like a pig, well the ammonia is up and down in the QT, everything else measures perfect. Im using an aquasonic copper test kit, would i have more accuracy if i use the seachem test. Its only the coral beauty that is still spotty, its as if it hasnt improved, big sugar grains on the fins, face and tail.

If you are using Cupramine, you really need to get seachem multitest. It the only test kit (to the best of my knowledge) that is accurate with this drug.
Your probably getting a false reading then.
Sorry :(

Back
Top Bottom