Question about carbon and fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know this may be an obvious question but I believe my fish may have ingested carbon rocks from when I took out my last filter media and the bag started to open because I found pieces of carbon rocks on the floor of the tank and my frog trying to eat them because they looked like pellet food. I picked most of them up that i could find but if they were ingested, it would make my fish very ill would it not? I'm not sure if that's the case or what but I have two female bettas acting weird and they're constantly looking on the floor for food all the time...

I'm not sure it is exactly the same thing but my step mom, accidently lost an entire filter of carbon into her 44 gal tank with 2 fancy orandas. She has black substrate and didn't successfully get all the carbon out because it looks exactly like her gravel. It has been 3 weeks and no ill effects. Now her goldies are 6" each so that may factor into it but I doubt it.

tropicfishman said:
shouldn't hurt them, don't they pump peoples stomach with carbon? or is it charcoal? I never can remember

Both.

In animals (probably the same with people) - activated charcoal is used for "stomach pumping". Mostly dogs eating chocolate or pesticides.

"Activated charcoal" is basically pure carbon, but in a form that is highly adsorptive.

So you were right, both times. ;)

Hm...Alrighty then lol They may still have parasites or something then X.x Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom