Question about feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBTetraguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, heres a very basic question for ya. I have 9 fish currently in my 29 gallon FW tank, 3 Buenas Aries Tetras, 3 Black Skirted Tetras, and 3 (I believe) Comlombian Tetras, they look like the Black skirted ones, except they are the dyed/painted? type. My question is what do I feed them and how often. the store where I bought them suggested Ultra flakes by OSI labs, and to feed them once per day and no more than what they consume in 1-2 minutes during tank cycling (Ive been following this procedure). Id like to make sure they get the proper nourishment and multiple food types after they cycling is complete.... so basically what do I feed them, how much, and how often?

I'm not a professional but, I just feed the fish a big pinch in the morning and in the evening. The serving size depends on the amount and type of fish. Some eat like pigs, some will not. You just have to watch for awhile after they become comfortable in thier new home for some eating habits...
All food gone by five minutes is what I was told once. I personally use wardley tropical flakes and nutrafin max flakes - what my lfs uses. I like to vary the brand a little bit. Just try not to feed them too much! Hope that helps a little...
Don

You mean those cans are not single serving? So that's why my water is so solid. :lol:

Really, feed them as much as they will consume in 3 to 5 minutes. You kind of have to start small and keep testing them. This constantly changes too as they grow.

Remember to vary your fishes diet also, a mixture of different foods is best for the fish and will help maintain colour and help protect against disease.
Currently on my fishes menu :

Tropical Flakes
Tropical Pellets
Tubifex Dried Worm Cubes
Bottom Feeder Tablets (I think the Pleco gets these at night)
Frozen Red Mosquito Larvae <-- The current favourite.

All are very cheap and in some cases, you can even make your own foods ! :)

Thanks for the advice fellas

THanks for all the help if any one else has any suggestions Id be more than happy to hear them.

Drew

Back
Top Bottom