Question about fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

btfishguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there, I looked up black phantom tetras and I read that they do not need to be in schools but should be in groups so like 3-4.... Now I was wondering if there are any other kind of smaller similar peaceful tetras that don't need to school but could be in groups!?? Please need to know asap :)

Hey there, I looked up black phantom tetras and I read that they do not need to be in schools but should be in groups so like 3-4.... Now I was wondering if there are any other kind of smaller similar peaceful tetras that don't need to school but could be in groups!?? Please need to know asap :)

All tetras are schooling fish.

I guess something that would fit the bill would be guppies or platies but why would you specifically want a non schooling fish that can be kept in groups?

All tetras are schooling fish.

I guess something that would fit the bill would be guppies or platies but why would you specifically want a non schooling fish that can be kept in groups?

Well apparently not , I would like them in groups because I like the look of a few of some fish, and I don't want guppies or pasties or swordtails or Mollies

I get what your gettin at, bud. I think youd be ok getting 3-4 of a few kinds of tetras. In my experience they like their kind, but will school with most similar sized tetras. Ive seen it work. You just have to be aware that youll need to watch closely for questionable behaviours. Good luck and happy tanking

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I get what your gettin at, bud. I think youd be ok getting 3-4 of a few kinds of tetras. In my experience they like their kind, but will school with most similar sized tetras. Ive seen it work. You just have to be aware that youll need to watch closely for questionable behaviours. Good luck and happy tanking

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you ! I'm glad someone understands, Ahaha but idk what fish to get :) so. Any my tank is 30 gallon

Hi BT. I think I get your drift. I keep a variety of tetras, always at least 5 of each but up to 10 of some. I have diamond neons, cardinals, lemons, serpae, black neons, rummy nose, red phantoms, glow lights and some harlequin rasbora. They loosely group together but don't shoal as such. I think the large number of varieties stops any one group shoaling and taking over the swimming area. It does help that the tank is VERY heavily planted and the fish are not always in each other's faces. Feeding time is the only time I see them all together, it quite a frenzy, but at different times of the day different species will be more visible than others. The only tetras I had a problem with were silver tips and they just took over the tank, so they were swapped out. Serpae tetras get a bad press but mine are really good in the tank. Environment affects behaviour a lot, I think. Hope that's of some help.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi BT. I think I get your drift. I keep a variety of tetras, always at least 5 of each but up to 10 of some. I have diamond neons, cardinals, lemons, serpae, black neons, rummy nose, red phantoms, glow lights and some harlequin rasbora. They loosely group together but don't shoal as such. I think the large number of varieties stops any one group shoaling and taking over the swimming area. It does help that the tank is VERY heavily planted and the fish are not always in each other's faces. Feeding time is the only time I see them all together, it quite a frenzy, but at different times of the day different species will be more visible than others. The only tetras I had a problem with were silver tips and they just took over the tank, so they were swapped out. Serpae tetras get a bad press but mine are really good in the tank. Environment affects behaviour a lot, I think. Hope that's of some help.

That's good info!! What are cardinals like? Up are they hard to keep because everyone says that they are very delicate

That's good info!! What are cardinals like? Up are they hard to keep because everyone says that they are very delicate

They're more expensive than neon tetras, but make up for it with the fact that they're brighter, more colourful, grow larger, and are more hardy.

Hi BT. Cardinals are not difficult to keep but they do like slightly softer water, Ph 6.5 to 7.0 and they like good clean water. They will adapt to other parameters but I have found that they thrive in more suited conditions. I think cardinals are the jewels in community freshwater fish tanks. Neons are cheaper but I believe that due to there popularity they have been bred to excess and that many strains are weak and prone to sickness. I don't think cardinals have suffered the same way. My diamond neons, blue head and eyes, red rear and tail, have been really healthy.

Stocking 30 gallon

I love tetras and I want a tetra tank with different tetras can u guys help me make a few lists of tetras I can add together that would make a beautiful display!?
I was also thing a male betta fish ....bit I'm not sire like I personally don't believe that they are all aggressive ... Soo .. Anyway thanks guys, hope to get lots of replys

I've had more problems with Cardinals than any other fish I've kept, including the rams that I keep in the same tank. I've had two die from what appeared to be a parasite, another die suddenly for no apparent reason, one died in a quarantine tank from possible stress due to insufficient shoaling numbers, and a fourth has been "limping" around the tank for the past month, apparently unable to use its caudal fin.

That said, I haven't given up on them yet and I'm considering adding some to my new tank.

Hi BT. I think I get your drift. I keep a variety of tetras... red phantoms

Just out of curiosity, what is your experience with Red Phantoms? Do they color up nicely? Are they skittish?

Hi. My Red Phantoms were quite quiet and shy until I added 5 Serpae tetras which, in my tank, are livelier and braver. The Phantoms now hang around with the serpae and have coloured up better but the serpae are way more colourful. This might just be my strain of each and may not always be the case.
As for mixes of tetras, my experience is trial and error. Every time I add a new species the existing fish behaviour alters. After adding the Serpae tetras the black neons suddenly became outgoing. Why? I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom