Question about moonlights---(neilanh influenced me :-) )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I made a new thread because neilanh, I did not want to hijack your thread.

Anyway...I've seen pictures of people with moonlights, and I thought they were so cool. Now I just saw neilanh's thread and it really, really, really made me want to get one. I am curious if I am able to have one without having to buy the entire fixture. I ask this because my light is not mounted at all, it is just placed on top of the tank. Is there any way I can mount one of those moonlights onto the fixture? I don't really see any room on it even if I bought legs to hold it up.

The Sunlight Supply Eco 3/4 Watt Plus Moon light looks good to me and it's a cheap price. I am going to have to order off a different site since the site you supplied is out of stock.

Could you explain how I could mount it with the type of light/hood I have?

Have you thought about a T5 setup? Depending on tank size, and your current fixture arrangements, you could rest the tube on glass covers or a condensation tray if that's what you currently do.

I recommend Interpet's Blue Moon actinic, specifically as a moonlight effect. You'd need a starter unit as well.

Alternatively if you want to go for a less natural look try Hagen's Marina LED system and opt for some blue LED modules. Each light module can be suckered into place inside the tank itself, and angled.

Alright, first off thanks for all these great links, they are the cheapest lights I've seen! Also, thanks for the thread about installation, seems simple.

I like the Sunlight Supply Eco 3/4 Watt Plus Moon light, and the one on drsfostersmith.

Which do you think would look best on a 46 gallon?

I have had great sucess making my own by purchasing the components from digikit.com

I made a strip for my 6 foot tank for 15.00, and they look better then any others I have seen light wise. It takes some soldering skill and some wiring, but all in all it took me 2 hours from start to finish, then I sealed them in a wood strip that I wrapped in water proof black tape.

If you want them "pretty" you can do it, just takes a little more time. They have been running now for over a year without a problem.

If you go the route of the little LEDs, from any company, installation can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. My light fixture also just sits on top of my hood as a seperate piece. That's why I wasn't concerned about securing the lights any better than just tape would hold, because theres no way they could fall into the tank. They're very simple, and add a huge "cool factor" IMO.

As far as what would look best, like I said, it's completely about personal preference. Blue, white, red, which light you choose, they're all going to look good, you just need to decide how you want your tank to look.

Great thread! This would certainly help with evening viewing since I am trying to reduce my photo period. :)

i got two dr. foster and smith lunar lights for christmas and i love them. i just installed them into the space in my ballast. i also positioned them over the filter and air stone, i highly recommend positioning them over water aggitation spots as you'll get an amazing rippling effect when the lights go out. photos just don't do it justice.

scalesojustice said:
i highly recommend positioning them over water aggitation spots as you'll get an amazing rippling effect when the lights go out.

Agreed, this is where my daughter liked them the most. I have 2 bubblers near the front of the tank, and with the lights right above them it had an extremely cool visual effect in the bubble stream.

I am going to order two, I guess that's best and I can always take one off if I don't like it. Thank you all :)

**Edit** If I want to buy two do I need to buy a link? What are those for?

scalesojustice said:
i got two dr. foster and smith lunar lights for christmas and i love them. i just installed them into the space in my ballast. i also positioned them over the filter and air stone, i highly recommend positioning them over water aggitation spots as you'll get an amazing rippling effect when the lights go out. photos just don't do it justice.

I agree with you there. I believe we may have the same moonlights, i positioned mine so they were pretty much directly over the output from my filter. The ripple effect is really neat.

pentiumburner said:
I have had great sucess making my own by purchasing the components from digikit.com

Could I get some more info on these guys? www.digikit.com gives me a "This Web Page for Sale" thing.

Devilishturtles said:
Interpet isn't offered in the US and the Hagen Marina light seems to be a UK thing as well. ;) So I doubt they'd be findable. :)

Marconis, it comes with a screw that you use to screw the light onto the fixture.

Here is also a thread showing the installation of the lights in the Drsfostersmith link

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=90981

Don't know if this helps, but the Hagen Marina Micro LED is available in Canada (if you're making a trip here...). They are fully submersible, so I don't have to worry about the fact that I've got no room up on my lid.

I just picked two up yesterday...damn that looks nice!

Back
Top Bottom