Question about Neon Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
neons really do needa be in a school, most likely it will die from fear if not schooled, if you do a school don't panic when they die off quickly, these little guys do this for some reason

I agree with joanne that neons can be hard to keep. I think there are good and bad batches out there. Sometimes you get lucky and get a good batch. I have had my 7 neons for about 8 or 9 months. I have lost 1 so far in the 29g tank and it seemed to have NTD, but no other fish were affected. I never knew if it was. I was told that NTD wasn't all that common, so usually what you think is NTD actually isn't.

I also think they need a high number in a school. I think 6-8 should be the minimum for neons while people usually say 4 for other tetras. I think they need a good size tank also (i.e. atleast 20g). I had them in a 10g with a betta and they hid all the time. I moved them to the 29g and they are out alot. Even with a 3.5in opaline gourami who can be a bully at times. Its just from personal experience though. And it could be that I also have 7 glowlights, which they school with.

A planted tank also seems to help them survive. When mine were in the 10g, I started having a mini-cycle and registered 2ppm of ammonia. I never lost a neon. They seem to be very sensitive to water quality, but not mine...they were troopers. I think having plants and cover helps them feel more secure.

To me neons are like ottos...sometimes you get a good batch and sometimes you don't and most of them die.

Well the other two died lastnight.

I think I may just stay with what I got, or at most add a couple more Blackskirts, they seem pretty hardy. Whiteskirt or Glass Tetras are of the same makeup/family as the Blackskirts right? (so they are hopefully hardy like my Blackskirts have been) Maybe I will get a couple of them instead, 2 Black/2 White.

Thanks again,
Blake

i must of had a good batch then...

9 neons for 4 months and not a problem, i do notice when stores (even petsmart) sells them sickly thin, after a week or so with me they plumped up, there really big now

sorry for your losses guys

Back
Top Bottom