Question about Nerite Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,
I've had my 20 gallon community tank setup since August of 2010. Right off the bat I had some ugly diatoms, but thought that they might go away. I am not asking for other ways to help keep it down to a minimum, (feeding, lighting, silica pads, Ottos, etc. etc...) as I've tried far too many things that factor into algae growth. Nothing at all has worked. Oh trust me, I've tried everything and anything possible.

Anyway, I thought it would die down a bit eventually, but in fact it's getting worse. Much worse. I now have unsightly brown algae growing all over the entire tank, and even with cleaning everything off during my weekly water changes I still cannot keep up with the growth anymore. On top of the diatoms, I now have a few more types of algae growing! Woo hoo!:loopy:
:roll:

One of the many things I've tried is Ottos. I drip acclimated them and everything, but it just seems that because they are so fragile I can never keep them alive past a week. I think they're so darn cute :) but unfortunately, they never work out for me. So, I've decided not to try them again in fear that I kill another :(.

Anyway,to my question. I was thinking of trying a couple Zebra Nerite Snails, I've heard they are excellent algae cleaners and a few friends of mine have had them and recommend that I give it a try. So, what do you guys think?

I was thinking of trying with two... and seeing how that goes. Remember that it's a 20 gallon, so do you think that the Snails can make some progress in a tank that size? I don't expect them to rid the algae immediately, because oh boyyy I've got plenty, but I'd like them to at least "tame" it after I clean it off of everything each week.

Finally, is there anything specific I should know about their care? I know that they don't breed in freshwater, so that's good.

Thank you guys so so much!! :D

I think zebra nerites would be an excellent addition. They love diatoms. They're great cleaners and are always hungry. LOL.

It's very difficult to find healthy otos. I agree with you there.

I think zebra nerites would be an excellent addition. They love diatoms. They're great cleaners and are always hungry. LOL.
Great, thanks! Do you think 2 would be a good choice?

Yeah! Especially when out of the 7 local stores around me, the only one that sells Otos is Petco!

Yes, I think 2 would be a good choice. If you cannot find them locally, please let me know. ;)

+1 on the nerites making a great addition to your tank. I have some in both of my tanks and they do a really good job of keeping the tanks clean!

Okay, great! That's exactly what I wanted to know, some feedback from those of you who have Nerites. Glad to hear that they keep the tanks clean! Tomorrow I'll be near my LPS, so hopefully I can pick some up!

On another note, before I do so, I need to clear up an important matter. Right now, one of my Tetras has what appears to be swim bladder. I understand that adding fish at this point would not be a good idea, but what about snails? I will test again tomorrow, but my water parameters are perfectly fine as of today. Here are my API Master Test kit results: Ammonia: 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 15, pH 7.6.
So basically I'm wondering if snails are okay to add, considering my water parameters. I mean, it's not like Snails get swim bladder.
I certainly don't want to come across as rushing things, or disregarding the health of my fish, but just wasnt sure if snails are a bit of an exception in this case? Please give me your thoughts on this. Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

A reply to the above question would be really helpful. I'd like to know by this weekend, as that's when I'll be able to go to the LPS. Thanks so much! (I hate sounding pushing, just asking for a reply.)

IMO.... snails are such low bioload that I'd add them and do an extra water change and not worry much about it. BUT... the cautious part of my brain would say to wait and let things stabilize because inverts die quick, sometimes without warning. A dead snail will foul a tank badly. Not very helpful I know, but it's a bump. :)

Back
Top Bottom