Question on ick & tetra's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought some zebra danios and when I got them home I put them in a QT tank. Well I noticed a little white area on the biggest one's dorsal fin, thought it was ick so I started medication. Turns out it's the coloration of the tip of their fin. But I started meds. before reading the entire bottle and I have exposed 2 neon tetra's to the ick meds. and it says on the bottle not to use on tetras. What can I do or is it alright or have I hurt them? :(

What kind of ich med was it? You can use ich meds on tetras but you generally use half-dose, unless you use Rid-Ich, when you can use full dose (which is equivalent to half dose of other meds). Like William posted, though, just do a good water change and use carbon in your filter. If you have ich again you can use the salt treatment instead for your tetras.

But what about the tetras? I mean these stupid neon tetras die if you look at them wrong so did I do them in by giving them the meds. ? I can put a filter back in the system and by morning my water will be crystal clear so that's not a problem. My wife is gonna kill me if Iv'e killed her fish.....

Never mind, the last one just went belly up. Guess I know what to do next time, NOT to buy and neon tetras. Guess the meds. was just too strong. :cry: And I was doing so good, haven't had a death in my 55 gal in a while (and the last was age related I think) It was a blue something (maybe a tetra) that had turned white and just up a died. the lfs owner said he had it for over a year, someone brought it back cause it "bleached out".

Back
Top Bottom