Question on keeping live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beetlejuice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just scored on 60 lbs of live rock from a local store. Price was so good a couldn't pass it up. Cured of course. This will be used in my 60gl tank. Now here is the question/ give advice.... The 60gl won't be up for at least 2-3 months. So I put the live rock in a plastic trash tub with the rock fully submerged in the salt water. Have a head (260gph) running all the time and a (750gph) pump I turn on for an hour or couple every day or other day. Any suggestions, tips, or maybe steps I am missing on keeping the rock LIVE for use in the future.

Thanks

Put in a few drips of ammonia every other day. I don't really like the raw shrimp method, but its available. Keep the salinity level consistent as well. No need to change the water until the tank is up and running. Don't forget the heater.

Terrance said:
Put in a few drips of ammonia every other day. I don't really like the raw shrimp method, but its available. Keep the salinity level consistent as well. No need to change the water until the tank is up and running. Don't forget the heater.

Totally forgot about putting in a heater. Went and got a thermometer today. So I'll watch the temp tomorrow and go get the heater. Might be able to get by w/ out one considering it is now finally summer in LA. Place gets hot in the afternoon (no A/C) but I do have it in a cooler room next to the window that gets a nice breeze. Chilly at night though so probably need the heater anyways. Def like the ammonia over the shrimp so I'll get right on that. Just set this up last night.
Thanks

That should work. The lfs by me just keeps it in a small rubber pond thing with a skimmer and some power heads. I dont know if I would worry about the ammonia though. 2-3 months should be enuff time for it to do its thing naturally.

+1 on the ammonia. Since you have the time, might as well keep the BB levels up.

If your rock has no coraline on it, you can buy a small piece of rock with it on and then introduce it into your tub while it cures. Might as well get that going too. If there's not enough light in the area, you can hook up a CFL clamp on. It doesn't need much light at all to grow.

Back
Top Bottom