question on male mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motherspice

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have 2 male mollies in my 20 gal, with 3 glofish the male mollies one is from my female molly 1st batch of fry hes about 5 months and the 2nd one my son got my daughter a male black salfin molly now fpr my question can 2 male mollys live together? They seem to at 1st like each other but the dalmation molly keeps going after it looks like the other mollys you know
redface.gif
is this something I should worry about? or are they trying to get to know each other?............Im nervous

Don't be nervous, all I can tell is that they are just chasing each other around, most of the time this is 2 things:

1. Male chases female around a lot.
2. Just being playful.

Just relax and don't worry about it, they should be fine.

but they both are boys, it looks like the dalmation molly is going after the point on the black molly........I dont know if they will be ok through the night, the only other tanks we have is the 55 gal but that has 3 female mollys and we have thew 10 gal but it has a male betta in it and thats it.....so no clue what to do im hoping they will stop......do you think maybe when the lights go off they will stop?....was wondering if maybe the black molly is pissed cause he was there 1st? We just added the dalmation molly about 1/2 hr ago, and gave the 10 gal to the betta the poor betta was in a 2.5 gal so now he has the 10 to his self we thought the mollys could all be together well the 2 males, lol

well both are alive this morn.....

but they still are doing the same thin not as much as last night but still......im wondering if they are trying to prove whos the king of this tank??? do fish do that and if so do they stop or will one get hurt?
confused.gif

Does the tank have enough hiding spots for all the fish? I know my male guppies would harass each other relentlessly until I re-scaped my tank and added a ton of java moss for them to hide in. Also, breaking up their line of sight seemed to help. I added some plants in the large open area of my tank where all the guppies used to hang out, now they are all over the place.

I wouldn't worry too much about it like Ben said. After all, they are mollies and they are prolific little buggers. :)

they have lots of plants and a rock cave thing, but they are like glued to each other,,,here are a few pics of the tank and them

Attachments

• new fish and tank 007.jpg
    new fish and tank 007.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 489
  • new fish and tank 014.jpg
    new fish and tank 014.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 495
  • new fish and tank 016.jpg
    new fish and tank 016.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 572
  • new fish and tank 021.jpg
    new fish and tank 021.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 427
Fish do establish a heirarchy similar to other animals.

They may be trying to show dominance. Typically, this will last until one of them gives up and stops challenging the other ones territory.

This COULD go until one dies. In most cases, and especially with mollies though, it will stop long before that. Keep in mind that fish school, and play around too. You may be witnessing this.

I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW, how do you know they are both males?

Fish do establish a heirarchy similar to other animals.

They may be trying to show dominance. Typically, this will last until one of them gives up and stops challenging the other ones territory.

This COULD go until one dies. In most cases, and especially with mollies though, it will stop long before that. Keep in mind that fish school, and play around too. You may be witnessing this.

I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW, how do you know they are both males?

they both have the point you know lol.....plus the black molly has a high dorsal fin, I have female mollys and I can see they are males;)

Back
Top Bottom