Question on my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello,

Thanks everyone for their help! Just an update. The water in the aquarium cleared up! Also, ammonia levels are .5 right now and it seems that nitrites level are rising. I have yet some more quick questions in hope you guys can help me out!
1. During the fish-in cycling, since ammonia levels are high, is there risk of losing any fish? My dwarf gourami has been hiding since the ammonia levels have been high. I have a big jar in my fish tank and he never seems to leave, not even during feeding time. I'm not able to see if he has spots around he's skin for the purpose to see if he is sick or not.

2. I bought two different products which are API QUICK START and API STRESS ZYME+. The quick start limits toxic ammonia and nitrites and contains live nitrifying bacteria. The stress zyme keeps the aquarium clean, improves Bio filter, and adds beneficial bacteria. I was wondering if I can use both products during my fish-in cycling? and if not, which one do you guys recommend given the circumstances?

Thank you very much! You guys have been really helpful!:thanks:

Hello,

Thanks everyone for their help! Just an update. The water in the aquarium cleared up! Also, ammonia levels are .5 right now and it seems that nitrites level are rising. I have yet some more quick questions in hope you guys can help me out!
1. During the fish-in cycling, since ammonia levels are high, is there risk of losing any fish? My dwarf gourami has been hiding since the ammonia levels have been high. I have a big jar in my fish tank and he never seems to leave, not even during feeding time. I'm not able to see if he has spots around he's skin for the purpose to see if he is sick or not.

2. I bought two different products which are API QUICK START and API STRESS ZYME+. The quick start limits toxic ammonia and nitrites and contains live nitrifying bacteria. The stress zyme keeps the aquarium clean, improves Bio filter, and adds beneficial bacteria. I was wondering if I can use both products during my fish-in cycling? and if not, which one do you guys recommend given the circumstances?

Thank you very much! You guys have been really helpful!:thanks:

I just wanted to let you guys know these are the most recent water levels.

pH - 7.0
Ammonia - .5
Nitrite - 5
Nitrate - 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the bottled bacteria are useless because the bacteria is sensitive to temp and other things that get overlooked during shipping, you can use them together though, but I would try to get you some prime and not worry about the other chems. Yes ammonia will cause fish deaths, that's why it is so important to do enough water changes to keep your ammonia at .25ppm during a fish in cycle. Your fish may just be adapting to the new tank or it could be reacting to the ammonia in your tank. Give it some time and do your water changes and see if it comes around

Back
Top Bottom