Questions about a "Fry/Fish Savers"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanec

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a problem in my 10g tank. I have over 130+ baby guppy fry but the filter that came with the tank has big enough slots at the bottom, that my fry can and have been sucked up into it. SO, I have placed a piece of a ladies nylon sock on the end.... Problem solved.... NOT EXACTLY. now the nylon wont let anything go thru to the filter and i have to clean the nylon about once a day. Needless to say, the water is clowdy....

So, I have went on AB and found this guy who is selling some fish savers (pictures Below). My question is this: Has anyone used this before and do they work, as in keep the water/tank clean without killing my fry's?

Next Question is, Does anyone have another solution to my problem? Keep in mind I caint afford anything expensive and the tank is in my living room so must look clean and neat.

Thankyou.

Shane

Attachments

• fry saver1.jpg
    fry saver1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 73
  • fry saver2.jpg
    fry saver2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 76
You can buy a piece of sponge and make the same thing yourself. I have use the block sponge that is advertised for a fluval filter to make one for the intake of my HOB.

You can also take the netting off of a net and use that as well, in the same manner that you have the panty hose on it. The holes in it are bigger than the panty hose.

You should consider getting a bigger tank for your fish :), the cloudy water is due to a combo of inadequate filtration because of restricted flow and a very heavy bioload.

I use zip ties and the screen mesh that you put on windows, works fine for me

I have never had guppy fry so I am not sure of their size, but I have had goldfish fry. I found that plastic craft mesh from the local craft store worked nicely, and it comes in colors. Black or dark green would possibly blend into the background. I sewed it into a cylinder with fish line, but small zip ties would be faster, and less damaging to your hands! If the holes are too big, and can allow guppy fry thru, try stretching a nylon TIGHTLY over it. Stretching makes the holes in the nylon a bit bigger, and may let more stuff thru. I did this for the first few weeks with my goldfish fry, as they were just small enough to get thru the craft mesh at first.

Later, I found that the craft mesh comes in shapes, and I bought an "egg". I snipped the top few rows out so that my filter intake pipe could slide in tightly, and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the shapes only come in white so the egg really stands out...but it worked, so I did not worry about it much.
img_1065259_0_97c536d97fdd289c0a9b04c7d31f3b51.jpg

3 AquaClear ac70 sponges are 5 bucks, the 3 sponges on an intake tube last about a year with regular cleanings in dirty tank water.

I did the same thing with mine, however filter bags work great as well.( hint wedding table goodie bags the ones with those nasty candies in it, yeah those are great micron filters for intake tubes)
with the ac sponges the fry can and will get inside the little holes to hide, I keep my fry in a 40g community tank now, got the intakes covered and tons of chunk rock on the bottom, the fry swim up first then straight down, 80% - 100% minimum survival rate with this method for me.

Thankyou all for your advise on this matter. Thankyou Glassbird for your suggestion. I decided to cut a square mesh to fit on the inside... Looks alot more cleaner... My fry's love it. They are "Checking it out", but not being sucked up into it. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
, , [/img]

Very resourceful! Only comment I have is to maybe tie it to the intake with some fishing line... don't want the screen getting sucked up into "U" bend. Not sure if your filter is strong enough or how tight of a fit it is. Just a thought, otherwise very cool!

Very resourceful! Only comment I have is to maybe tie it to the intake with some fishing line... don't want the screen getting sucked up into "U" bend. Not sure if your filter is strong enough or how tight of a fit it is. Just a thought, otherwise very cool!

It is a hard plastic mesh. Fits very tight. its made out of the same material as the ball is made of that Glassbird shows.

another option: I don't know what they are called, but my local fish store sells a device for isolating fry in the tank. It is a small screened in box that sits at the waterline you scoop up the fry with a net and place them in the enclosure. The screen keeps the fry isolated from other fish and out of the filter. Just drop some flake food in the top to feed.

I think you are talking about breeder traps. They sell them at any pet store. They have plastic and mesh ones. Only thing is you have to clean the uneaten food out or it will foul up the water.

Back
Top Bottom