Questions about behavior...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jferrante

Aquarium Advice Activist
So in the future I would like to get either Apistogramma cacatuoides or a Bolivian Ram since I've heard they are both hardy and can handle things like temperature changes and PH changes from water changes and other natural minor fluctuations that can happen in a tank while German Blue rams are supposed to be trouble in that department.

From what I've seen two LPS is both Apistogramma's and Ram's seem to almost watch you when you stand near the tank. It's a specific kind of behavior though they will hover and stare at you and look to their mate a little then rise up and look around then sink back down a little like a dog at a kennel begging to be bought lol. However at one store (Wet Pets) not to far from where I lived they had a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides and the male would chase after smaller fish that got around the female sometimes and attempt to nip at them or simple just get them to leave their territory. And in another store (aquatic Wildlife) the tank seemed to have a bunch of juvinile male bolivian rams that seemed to chase each other occasionally and nip at one another except none of them had any marks to say they had a chunk taken out so to me it was almost like how dogs fool around. oddly enough the German Blue Ram tank was so curious about me standing there they didn't chase each other like the others but simply followed me till I was too still.
The first several times I went to Aquatic wildlife their fish seemed great and the tanks were looking good but this most recent time they had a dead fish in a few tanks (they have like 30+ tanks of various sizes)... I'm not sure if they just slacked off or simply had a new shipment with some that couldn't make it or failed to quarantine them properly I've seen it at every fish store at least once because it happens. I don't know the story and I'm sure at any aquarium it happens most commonly from the stress of being shipped. but whenever I see that I worry about buying anything but the hardy breeds from them. their tanks at Aquatic WIldlife have quite a few fish in them each but most are lively usually but often a bit crowded. Wet pets though seems to put much less fish in each tank they actually seem bare really and even mentioned that their rummys couldn't be sold due to ich when I asked which to me says they pay attention though so that's good.
Anyways I'm sure the seasons play a part in it especially since it's been so cold here but it won't be for a month or two till I get one.
Eventually I was thinking
my 8 rummy nose tetras
-a couple amano shrimp
-Some Cory cats
- pearl and/or "Neon" blue dwarf Gouramis (the neon version of blue gourami's has a brighter color and is considered peaceful instead of semi-aggressive although most don't seem to know this and think of the normal dwarf blue Gourami. My favorite pet store so far, Animal City has two and he has them the others have the regular semi-aggressive kind.
- and the rams or apistos or both if I can get an affirmative answer that they'd get along.

My final question is if the gourami's, Rams, and Apistos would get semi-agressive without a pair later on? and also what is it like to breed these fish? I have never attempted breeding but I have heard it alters their behavior a lot and the pregnant ones and their fry often need those plastic boxes as protection and to keep the tank peaceful.

Best part about the little guys! They think they're tough, mine stare me down whenever I stand in front of the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can easily get away with a pair of each in a 55 without trouble as long as there are pleny of plants and decor to break lines of sight in the case of any spawns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

sweet! it won't be for about a month or two till I pick them up since my tank is only 2 weeks old and just about cycled but It's nice to know I could fit both.
I was thinking of getting 4-5 Strebai cory cats tomorrow so they can eat the uneaten food on the bottom before that every gets out of hand. I heard they are hardy and produce low waste so with my 8 rummy nose and all the plants I have it seems like the perfect time and fish to add at the moment.

so you think the cory cats would be fine? I'm only asking because the particular species of Cories that I want are pretty expensive. I can get more Rummy nose later. I was going to add some neon tetras initially but they seem to be overly common and not very hardy overall so if figured they'd be a poor addition to the set up I have.

There's enough floor space in the tank for the cories too, I was just saying to up the tetras because even with 8, a 55 will look empty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom