Questions about PH controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I finally got my Mil. SMS122 (Plus reg. bubble counter, etc) from aquatic-store.com. I was really happy that I didn’t have to pay any duty, only GST, PST, and a $5 handling fee :D. Anyway about the PH controller (I’m sry for the dumb question btw), can I rinse the electrode under tap water to get rid of the excess salt? It says that when the electrode is dry, I have to soak it in a special solution to reactivate it. I didn’t receive the activation solution I only got the calibration solution. Is there something else that I could use to reactivate the electrode?

Also is vinegar good to use when calibrating the controller? What else could I use instead of the PH7.0 solution? It says that I should recalibrate every month, would it better if I did sooner then that?

Not sure about reactivation...

I use packets of pH 7 solution and vinegar(pH 2.8 ) for calibration. You can use distilled water(7) or milk(6.7) from what I hear, but those have not been reliable for me. Every gallon of milk or water seems to be different. Vinegar works great. You should probably test once a month, but mine has never been off(3 months).

ringfinger said:
Not sure about reactivation...

I use packets of pH 7 solution and vinegar(pH 2.8) for calibration. You can use distilled water(7) or milk(6.7) from what I hear, but those have not been reliable for me. Every gallon of milk or water seems to be different. Vinegar works great. You should probably test once a month, but mine has never been off(3 months).

I'm assuming you use vinegar when calibrating the slope of controller. I thought you needed to use something that has a PH of 4.0?

You can just use tap water to rinse it off, that's what I did. Then use the ph 7.0 solution to calibrate it, then use distilled white vinegar to adjust the slope, to 2.8. You can use a 4.0 solution as well, but I prefer vinegar for the slope. You should also get a bottle of electrode cleaner. I got my ph 7.0 and cleaner both on Ebay pretty cheap.

I'm also going on about 3 months, and it's still dead on. Once a month I soak the electrode in the cleaner solution for a few minutes. But even if I didn't, would probably still be dead on.

Lonewolfblue said:
You can just use tap water to rinse it off, that's what I did.

lol I thought that maybe tap water would have messed up the elctrode :oops:.

Lonewolfblue said:
Then use the ph 7.0 solution to calibrate it, then use distilled white vinegar to adjust the slope, to 2.8. You can use a 4.0 solution as well, but I prefer vinegar for the slope. You should also get a bottle of electrode cleaner. I got my ph 7.0 and cleaner both on Ebay pretty cheap. I'm also going on about 3 months, and it's still dead on. Once a month I soak the electrode in the cleaner solution for a few minutes. But even if I didn't, would probably still be dead on.

I found the Ph 7.0 and cleaning solutions here: http://stores.ebay.com/AQUACAVE-Qua...QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ15QQftidZ2QQpZ2QQtZkm should I also get the activation/conductivity solution as well?

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
LWB is correct. And make sure you adjust the slope (back of unit, it's a little hole..) or it will only read 7.0 accurately.

Yeah I was confused at first when I found the little screwdriver lol, but then I realized it was used for adjusting the slope on the back. So after I first calibrate the controller to 7.0 I'll then calibrate the controller/slope to 2.8.

Yes, and I would repeat a couple of times as the slope tends to adjust the calibration point..

I adjusted to 7.0, then slope to 2.8, then back in the 7.0 it was showing 6.7.. adjusted each 1 more time and it was accurate..

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Yes, and I would repeat a couple of times as the slope tends to adjust the calibration point..

I adjusted to 7.0, then slope to 2.8, then back in the 7.0 it was showing 6.7.. adjusted each 1 more time and it was accurate..

Ok will do! Thanks for the advice!

All you need is a bottle of 7.0 solution and cleaning solution and distilled white vinegar. The cap on the bottles is like a little cup, which you pour some solution in and test with, then you dump the solution in the sink when done. A bottle will last you quite a while, maybe a couple years if testing monthly. Same with the cleaning solution, just put some in the little cup and let it sit in the solution for a few minutes. Just don't wipe the electrode end off with anything. When done cleaning, rinse in a little water, test with 7.0 and vinegar, calibrate if necessary, and place back in tank.

Edit:
The link you posted above is for aquacave on ebay. That's where I got my 2 bottles of solution, the exact same ones. The 7.0 and the cleaning solutions. :)

Lonewolfblue said:
All you need is a bottle of 7.0 solution and cleaning solution and distilled white vinegar. The cap on the bottles is like a little cup, which you pour some solution in and test with, then you dump the solution in the sink when done. A bottle will last you quite a while, maybe a couple years if testing monthly. Same with the cleaning solution, just put some in the little cup and let it sit in the solution for a few minutes. Just don't wipe the electrode end off with anything. When done cleaning, rinse in a little water, test with 7.0 and vinegar, calibrate if necessary, and place back in tank.

Awesome! I really appreciate the help!

Can't wait to start injecting pressurized Co2 into my tank :).

Back
Top Bottom