Questions about stocking 20g and a topless tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GiantTrevally

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if anyone can help me i have a couple questions
1. I'm wondering what fish may be compatible together for my 20g tank.I really want to get a Dwarf Gourami,but just want to know if neon tetra's would go with a Dwarf Gourami and how many if any at all i can have.
2. Any recommendations for a solo Bottomfeeder (preferably one that stays small),thought about shrimp but I've heard they breed like crazy?
3. Is it Ok to have a topless tank with a Dwarf Gourami in it? Do they jump
Appreciate any advice :)

I know but I'm asking if they are prone to jump a lot as I've never seen a Gourami in a topless tank but i have seen plenty of other fish kept in one.

Neons and the Dwarf Gourami should get along just fine. I'd say you could have roughly 11 in that tank with no problem.

As for jumping, idol1 is right: all fish will jump given the right circumstances (startled at night, bad water, &c). I just tonight found a neon tetra that must've jumped in the last week or so.

To make the gourami feel more secure, give him some floating plants and a couple of places to hide. This should lessen the risk of jumping.

Neons and the Dwarf Gourami should get along just fine. I'd say you could have roughly 11 in that tank with no problem.

As for jumping, idol1 is right: all fish will jump given the right circumstances (startled at night, bad water, &c). I just tonight found a neon tetra that must've jumped in the last week or so.

To make the gourami feel more secure, give him some floating plants and a couple of places to hide. This should lessen the risk of jumping.
+1
And for a singular bottom feeder I would recommend a bristlenose pleco, those little guys are my absolute favorite. I've had two for about 3-4 years and they are about 5 inches long and nice and fat :) I believe the biggest size they reach in the hobby is around 6" but they are still plecos and produce a good amount of waste for their size so a good filter is must.

+1
And for a singular bottom feeder I would recommend a bristlenose pleco, those little guys are my absolute favorite. I've had two for about 3-4 years and they are about 5 inches long and nice and fat :) I believe the biggest size they reach in the hobby is around 6" but they are still plecos and produce a good amount of waste for their size so a good filter is must.
Thanks for you reply,I'll definetly look into the bnp always wanted one just thought a 20g tank may be too small.
Also as far as surface plants go I've researched a bit about them and cant find one i either like the look of or one that doesn't take over the whole tank,but i saw a tank that used a plastic grid (the sort of ones you may have seen betta's seperated by) cut to size and planted with Java moss/Christmas moss too float at the surface,could that be an option that could work? Again thanks for reply ?

It sounds like you're thinking of a moss wall. There are tons of tutorials out there to make one if you want, I have never personally made one though. They look spectacular once they are grown in

It sounds like you're thinking of a moss wall. There are tons of tutorials out there to make one if you want, I have never personally made one though. They look spectacular once they are grown in
Yeh i think i'll look into that then,I've also seen floating moss balls that look pretty cool in my opinion so hopefully that gives the Gourami enough cover.
Also have a question about cycling the tank,if you use pure Ammonia you use it initially to start the cycle,but over time as it reduces do you continue to add the ammonia of just the once?
Appreciate the replies ?

Back
Top Bottom